7/27/06

Cleaning up


I am always on the lookout for helpful websites with cleaning tips, recipes, decorating ideas, and those sorts of things. I have signed up for several different subscriptions. Sometimes, I find nothing of use, and it gets a little frustrating having to read through all of the letters at times! Today was a good day, though! The Happy Slob (see link at end of post) e-letter came out this morning, and I found some tips and hints for cleaning dirty shower curtains. I know this might not sound exciting to you, but I was looking at our curtain liner the other day, and this email is exactly what I need! I was thinking we would have to wait until payday (there's that phrase again!) to get a new shower curtain liner, but if this idea works, we won't have to!

Anyway, I thought I would share the tip (and link, in case anyone wants to visit the website and sign up for cleaning tips on their own) with y'all. I'll try to let you know how things work out after I've given it a try. :o)

Clean Your Old Plastic Shower Curtain

Yick...When that funky plastic shower curtain gets a certain 'interesting' odor and looks grungy, you know it's time to clean that sucker! And, it's not a hard task to do. Here's how to clean it:

Easy Cleaning Shower Curtain Tips

This really couldn't be easier and will work with either a plastic shower curtain OR a cloth shower curtain!

1. Remove the shower curtain from the shower rod - Also take the rings off the shower curtain.

2. Toss the shower curtain into your washer, set on a warm heat, and add a cup of baking soda. No other soap is needed at all.

3. Let the entire cycle run, and then remove the shower curtain and let it hang and dry back on the shower rod.

That is IT! Your shower curtain will look brand new, and it was seriously easy. :)

Copyright © Christina Spence
Happy Slob Website/e-letter

7 comments:

Mrs.B. said...

I've never used baking soda but I've been washing mine in the washer for years....I tried it once figuring I had nothing to lose. I use laundry soap and bleach but I think I'll give the baking soda a try because it's probably not as hard on the plastic.

Thanks for the tip! (o:

Tammy said...

My shower curtain liner is fabric, which I bought because I thought it would last longer. It got all mildewy (is that a word? LOL) this winter, and is now stained around the bottom. I've washed it several times, but alas, I think I'll have to go out and buy another liner (after payday ;-) ). We have a clawfoot tub, so I have to buy three shower curtains. That adds up in a hurry!

Have a blessed day!

Jessica :) said...

I talked my mom into purchasing a cloth liner b/c I thought it would save us money in the long run. The plasstic liners would always break b/c our shower got a lot of use with 6 people using one bathroom. (Of course, not all at the same time! ha ha) It felt like every couple of months "Shower Liner" was written on her shopping list b/c there was nothing left for the rings to hold onto on the current liner.

I love the cloth one, but the longer we have it, it seems the more often we have to wash it. :( Maybe it just feels that way to me b/c I hate undoing all the rings and then putting them all back on again.

I'll definitely tell my mom about this cleaning tip so we can try it out. If it does work....I'm sure I'll be able to find some other area of cleaning to complain about! :P ha ha

Amy said...

I've done this several times and it works beautifully. I'm sure you'll be happy with the results :)

Arlene said...

Well, I tried washing my liner yesterday, and it turned out nicely! It really looks as bright as it did when we first bought it, so I was quite pleased with the results. There was a small hole (I think it got caught around the agitator), but it's toward the very bottom, so I don't need to worry about any leaks or things like that. Nathan was happy because I saved us some money (okay, it's like, 2 bucks, but money is money, LOL!) :)

Mrs. B, I think you're right about it being gentler on the material. I've also read of washing the liner with a towel or two in the wash (to give some extra scrubbing action), in case you want to try that. :)

Tammy, it's blogdom... we can make up words any time we want to! ;o) We have a plastic liner on the inside of the tub, with a cloth curtain on the outside. Then I don't have to worry about the cloth getting mildewy (to borrow your word, LOL) and it's still pretty to look at. I don't know what we'd do if we had to buy THREE curtains for our tub...six if you get plastic liners AND cloth! :O

Hey, Jessie-lou! :o) You visited me! :P Our plastic liner has metal grommets where we attach the rings... maybe that helps to make it last longer? I think the plastic liners keep the water inside the tub better than the cloth curtains do, so that's why we use it. You'll see when you come visit -- soon!!! :)

Amy, I am happy with the results! Thanks :o)

Happymama said...

My way has only one step.... I just buy another shower curtain. LOL...hehehe, just kidding!! Thanks for sharing the info. I'll
try that.

~Kristi

Arlene said...

I like that one-step cleaning solution, too, Kristi. LOL ;o) My husband doesn't like it so much, though... :P