8/1/06

Chicken in a pot


When Nathan and I had our church wedding, my mom presented me with this family cookbook. It is definitely one of our most-used wedding gifts, that's for sure! [I think our shower curtain is the only one that is actually used more than the recipes ;o)] Yes, as the title/my maiden name suggests, I am part French (and in case you're wondering, I am 1/4 French, 1/4 Polish, and 1/2 Filipina... yes, I know. Our kids are going to be "mutts" :P LOL).

I love having this cookbook; when I flip through the recipes, I am reminded of good times I had cooking with my mom, favorite meals we ate while growing up, and other random memories from around the dinner table. I enjoy having a copy of the recipes my mom used to nourish and fill us, and I hope to pass on her love of cooking and caring for family to my own daughters (Lord-willing). I love dreaming of the new memories we will create with our children in our own kitchen...

The first time Nathan and I had company over in our home, we invited Laura and Brandon, a newlywed couple like ourselves. Plus, Laura's my best friend, so I figured she would be nice while critiquing my cooking skills. ;o) As we were growing up, she was always my guinea pig when I tried out new recipes; she's still alive, so I guess I did all right in the kitchen. :P

Of course, I couldn't just try out a brand-new recipe when we were having guests, so I turned to my mom for some help... or rather, I turned some pages in her cookbook. ;o) I decided to make her easy chicken in a pot, as it was... umm, easy!

The page is still stained from when I spilled chicken broth on it, but I don't mind a little wear-and-tear. It brings back memories; plus, one day when one of our children are trying to decide what to make for dinner, they can see the well-used, dog-eared page and know that this recipe is a "keeper." :o)

I hope you'll agree.

Chicken in a Pot

2 carrots, sliced
2 onions, sliced
2 celery stalks, cut in 1" pieces
1 3-pound, whole broiler/fryer chicken
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup water or chicken broth
1 tsp. basil

Place carrots, onions, and celery in bottom of crock pot. Add whole chicken. Top with pepper and liquid. Sprinkle with basil. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours. **Cook 3 1/2 - 5 hours on High**

My mom's note at the top of the page says:
"I love this recipe. Throw ingredients into crock pot in the morning; we can have a nice dinner -- and it has meat and veggies!" :o)

3 comments:

Happymama said...

I came back to make sure I had the liquid ingredient right and thought how sweet it was that you posted your mother's entry. I too have a homemade cookbook that has all my favorite recipes in it so I decided to look and sure nuff, I have made a few entries as well. I hadn't ever thought about it before, but what a nice memento for a child. I hope Hannah enjoys them when I give her this one.

~Kristi :)

Tammy said...

What a great wedding present!

Arlene said...

I feel the same way, Kristi. I can't wait to one day hand off our family cookbook to the next generation :o)

I'm glad you agree, Tammy! Not to play favorites, but I think this gift really was one of my favorites... usually the hand-made, heartfelt gifts are the most-loved by others, aren't they? :)