8/3/06

Mail call

Ever since my dad taught me the combination to our mail box, I have absolutely loved checking the mail! Not that I ever really got anything, but there was just something exciting about knowing that I could get something.

Now that I'm married and have my own mailbox (okay, our own mailbox), I take that to mean there are even greater chances that I'll have mail. Granted, the only times I ever get anything are around my birthday and Christmas. Oh, and of course, when I make an order online.

Nevertheless, I make it a point to check the mail daily. My Airman teases me endlessly about my mail obsession. I tell him it's not an obsession -- no, really. I could stop any time I wanted to... it's just that, well, I don't want to. LOL ;o)

The only person I know who loves going to the post office as much as I do is my best friend, Laura. Whenever we would spend the day together, it was a given that we would check the mail... sometimes even twice in one afternoon! (But, seriously, we're not addicted or anything!) ;o) LOL

So on my daily mail check, I was delighted to find a letter from my man. :o) When climbing Mt. Fuji, hikers are given the opportunity to purchase post cards and have them mailed directly from the mountain. I knew that already, but what I didn't know was that he bought a post card and had it mailed home for me.


He writes:
Arlene,
I have climbed all the way to the top of Mt. Fuji
just so I could send this and say this one thing to you...
I love you.

*sigh* I love my husband. Isn't he a sweetie? :o)

11 comments:

Denial Renae said...

Oh, I love to check the mail too! Who cares if it usually filled with bills and junk mail, it's just the thrill of seeing what is there!

Rhonda said...

That was sooooo sweet! That's a memory you'll have to save to share with the kiddos.

R

If this is a duplicate post, sorry!

Mrs.B. said...

Awww.....that's so sweet!

You said you check your mail more than once a day? Do they deliver mail more than once a day in Japan?

Rebecca said...

Very sweet!

Arlene said...

Denial Renae,
Now I can tell my husband there is another mail junkie -- Laura and I are not alone in our love of mail! :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rhonda,
You're right; it will be a neat story to share with our kids. I plan to scrap the pictures from Mt. Fuji, as well as the post card Nathan sent... someday, LOL!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mrs. B,
You're not the only one married to a Mr. Wonderful, huh? ;o)
At this base, the mail is flown in about 3 times a day (we are one of the biggest bases in the Pacific, so I'm guessing that is part of the reason for so many mail flights?). My dad has the schedules times memorized, and checks the mail THREE times a day (he has a home business of selling coins, so he has an actual reason to go there). Laura and I are just beanheads, so that's why we would check twice a day -- just in case the mail arrived after we had done our shopping for the day, hehehe! :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rebecca,
Yeah, bet you never thought your brother would grow up to be such a sweetheart, huh? ;o)

Tori said...

How very sweet. I'm sure I missed this somewhere along the way. If I may ask how did you get to Japan in the first place? Missionaries??

Amy said...

Ah, sounds like you're husband is a romantic kind of guy. What a sweet note to send you!

Arlene said...

Tori,
You could say that we're missionaries... of the government paid variety, LOL. My dad is retired AF, so we were stationed here in Japan 1995 (he retired here in 2000). I think I should write a post about our history and why we're in Japan, and leave it up in my sidebar since everyone is wondering all the time, LOL!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amy,
Yes, my hubby tries very hard to be a romantic. It's always when I least expect it, too, so that makes the surprises even sweeter! :o)

Adele said...

How nice! I like checking the mail too, but I'm not always the one to get it. I think my hopes for personal mail have been dashed too many times so I don't get as excited anymore. I can't even get people to e-mail!

Arlene said...

If it makes you feel any better, I'll email you, Adele... only, since we're on blogger so much, there really isn't a need for it, is there? :P

Amber said...

I love checking the mail too! I have since I was little! I even like the bills! LOL