8/25/06

Yee-haw Cowboy Cookies

While I have absolutely no idea why these cookies were given such a western name, I do know that they are some of the best oatmeal cookies I have ever had! They were a cinch to make, and since it came together so quickly, I didn't even notice the heat of the oven (which is saying a lot considering how hot it's been the past few weeks!). I had every intention of taking a picture of my cookies -- they turned out so pretty and perfectly shaped -- but, by the time I remembered to get out the camera, um... they were all gone, LOL!

I thought I would share the recipe anyway :o)

1 1/3 cups quick oats
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp. baking powder
2 dashes salt
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I don't like nuts, so I omitted these)
1 1/3 cups flour mixed with 1 tsp. baking soda

Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl; blend together. Add:

1 stick butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg, slightly beaten

Mix until thoroughly blended. Shape generous teaspoon-sized balls 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet. (I used my Pampered Chef large cookie scoop to shape the dough, then dropped it onto my Pampered Chef baking stone about 1 inch apart). Bake at 350* for 11-13 minutes until edges are lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet, then remove cookies to racks to finish cooling.

There is also the option to layer the dry ingredients in a 1-quart jar, and attach a pretty recipe card giving additional ingredients and baking instructions. Makes a yummy gift! :o)

ETA: Revisions to the recipe have been posted here.

2 comments:

Happymama said...

Oh yummy! I've seen so many good cookie recipes in the blogging world lately. Thanks for sharing this one. I'll have to give it a try!

~Kristi

Happymama said...

Hey, I started a recipe blog.
http://bloggersrecipes.blogspot.com
It's not very organized yet. I've just kind of thrown 'em all together. I just started it today so there's only a few on there. But maybe you can find something you like.

~Kristi