9/22/06

Easy Mac-n-cheese

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a huge cooking show fan! Especially if it has anything to do with Rachael Ray, LOL! Foodnetwork is great, because there is at least one cook for every eater -- craving southern-cooked meals? Look for Paula Deen. Want something semi-homemade? Sandra Lee is your girl... okay, so I sound like a commercial! :o) You get my point, right?

Anyway, Alton Brown is another cook I enjoy watching and borrowing recipes from, and he made this super easy stove-top macaroni and cheese the other day. I made it for dinner last night (we're doing the end of the month budget stretch again, LOL), and it turned out really creamy and yummy... better than anything out of the box, and just as easy! :P

1/2 lb. elbow macaroni
4 Tbs butter
2 eggs
6 oz. evaporated milk
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp salt
fresh pepper
3/4 tsp dry mustard
10 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions (make sure to salt your water just before adding the pasta). Drain well, and return pasta to the hot pot. Add butter, allowing the heat to melt it; toss to coat. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard; add mixture to pasta. Mix in the cheese, and continute to stir over low heat until smooth and creamy.

*I didn't have any dry mustard, so I just used regular from a bottle (about a tsp or so)

**During the last few minutes of cooking the pasta, I added broccoli florets and some diced hot dogs to the boiling water. Like I said... stretching the budget here, so I was going with what we had on-hand LOL! Still yummy, though, and my hubby loved it :o)

***I'm sure you could change out the veggies, and even add chopped, cooked chicken with the cheese; I think I'll try playing around with some spices next time, too; it's a pretty versatile recipe, I'd say.

9 comments:

Amy said...

ha ha! Whoops! I just commented on a post you did in July, thinking it was recent. I get it now...

My family loves homemade macaroni and cheese. This recipe looks better than the one I've been using, and easier too as the evaporated milk means I don't have to make a white sauce first. I'll have to try this one sometime.

Mrs.B. said...

Sounds yummy and much easier than standard homemade mac-n-cheese!

I'm adding you to my side bar links....just thought I'd let you know. (o:

Blessings,
~Mrs.B

Anonymous said...

I will have to try it.....I am forever trying new recipes. :) Before I got married, I was such a mess in the kitchen. I think things have improved......slightly, anyways. :)

Samantha said...

This sounds delicious! I'll have to try this one when our kitchen is done.

Samantha said...

Arlene,
I am definately the ditz!lol! I wasn't very clear about that part. You are supposed to actually make the pudding and then add a cup of the pudding to the cake mix. I made the pudding using the pie-filling directions so it was a little thicker(you especially want this for the middle). Also, if you are using pre-made cake mix, try adding only 3/4 cup pudding to the mix. When I made my cake, I believe I used the pillsbury moist deluxe type and one of my round cakes sunk in a bit(nothing too noticeable, though). Oh my goodness was it ever good! I have to give most of the credit to Pillsbury though :)lol!

Okay, I really hope that it turns out!

Happymama said...

I'm sure the broccoli and dogs were just as good as any other veggie or chicken. Sounds like something I would whip up. :) LOL, I don't know if you think that's a good thing or a bad thing. LOL ANYWAY, I'll be posting this on blogger's recipes later.

~Kristi

Arlene said...

Amy, that's why I love it so much; plus, I was trying to find a way to use up my can of milk, so this was perfect!
~~~~~~~~~
Mrs. B, hope you try it sometime; thanks for the add! :o) I feel I have almost reached celebrity status since I'm now on your links, LOL! ;o)
~~~~~~~~~
LOL, don't worry Melissa; we all have to start somewhere! Hope you and your hubby will enjoy the recipe!
~~~~~~~~~
Oooh, Samantha, I can't wait to see how your kitchen turns out; I love seeing all of your fix-ups :~) I'm sure it will turn out nicely for you... I'll let you know how the cake turns out, LOL!
~~~~~~~~~
LOL, Kristi, you always make me laugh :P I think we have similar tastes, so I won't take offense at what you said, hehehe! Yay -- one of my recipes made it onto your blog :~)

Diane said...

Hi Arlene, This sure looks yummy!! I’ve printed it off to try out in the near future. I’m sure you did a better job of posting this recipe than I did with my first recipe post! LOL Did you ever get a chance to bake a batch of those gingersnap cookies? You DID get my corrected recipe post…didn’t you?? :-) It’s a good thing that we don’t have cable TV as I’d be spending way too much time watching cooking shows!! Blessings, Diane

Arlene said...

LOL, Diane, don't worry, I had to make some edits myself before posting this one! I haven't made the cookies yet, but our church has a fellowship coming up soon, so I'm planning to try it out then. I'll let you know how they turn out... I can't wait to try them! :P