4/7/06

Eventful morning

This morning when I got out of bed, I peeked through the blinds to decide what to wear... and would you like to guess what I saw??? Snow! Thankfully, it was less than 1/2 an inch, so it melted quickly once the sun finished rising. Even so, I am tired of seeing frost or snow blanketing the cars... I should have known that it was a warning sign of worse things yet to come.

After My Airman left for work, I started getting ready for the day as usual. I grabbed all of my things and headed out the door to the car. Would you like to guess what happened next? The car wouldn't start!!! I was a little frustrated, but I figured, "Lisa lives just a few blocks away; maybe she hasn't left for work yet." I grabbed all of my stuff again, and sprinted toward the door, hopped up the steps, jammed my key in the lock, and raced to the phone.... ring, ring, ring -- answering machine!

So I thought, "Okay, I'll call my honey at work." No answer there. Called the other number. Busy signal. Tried the first number again... someone picked up! But, he didn't know where My Airman was. Then he said rattled off two other numbers to try. I call the first... no one answers. Dial the other number he gave me. No one answered that. "Great," I thought. "I'm stuck up here, and Pastor's going to freak out and fire me!"

Then I remembered that My Airman said he and his shop were heading to the Mokuteki (community center on-base) after morning checkpoint. So, I called the operator, got the number for the cafe' and dialed... ring, ring, ring, ring, ring... Finally someone picked up!!!!!

Praise Jesus! I told him to ask if Nathan [our last name] was sitting out at one of the tables. So, the guy says, "Hold on," covers the phone and calls out, "Jason [our last name]? Is there a Jason [our last name] out there?"

I'm really going crazy now! No, not Jason, silly! NATHAN!!!!!! Then I heard Nathan's voice, "Did you say 'Jason' or 'Nathan'?" The guy said, "No, Jason."

Now I'm practically yelling at the guy (who can't hear me, because the phone is still covered) "No, no, no! Nathan! NOT JASON -- Nathan!!" So, Nathan told the guy, "Ask if it's Nathan." Finally, the guy uncovers the phone and asks, "Jason?" Relieved that Nathan hasn't walked away yet, I answer, "No. Nathan. Thank you!" I can't explain how happy I was to hear my beloved's voice on the phone! Of course, that relief was very short-lived.

The realization that my car was dead, and I had no means of getting to the school hit me once again. It was now 0740, and I have to be at work in less than ten minutes! Then the tears were very nearly overflowing... *Deep breath* "Babe, the car won't start and I don't know what's wrong with it and Lisa's not home, and I need a ride to work, and I --" "It's okay, Honey. I'm coming." *sigh*

The most wonderful words in the English language!

Thankfully, his supervisor let him come get me and drop me off at work; Pastor hasn't fired me (not that I really thought he would, LOL); and I think the car will start if we jump it. If not, a friend said she'll be sending her husband over to help us fix it. Either way, it's all good now. I'm happy... and hoping that the rest of my day will be very boring and uneventful!

No comments: