5/15/06

Messes and memories

Nobody ever believes me when I say things in our house can get disorganized or whatever, but let me tell you -- THEY CAN AND THEY DID!

On Tuesday afternoon, sometime during planning and starting dinner I came down with a horrible headache; maybe migraine is a better word to describe it. I literally felt sick to my stomach every time I stood up, so I forced myself to finish making dinner and went to lie down for a bit. By the time FBI rolled around, I was still not feeling well, so My Airman went to class alone. On Wednesday, a similar thing happened; all day I was fine, but after I got off of work I had a slight headache... which slowly increased to another nauseating migraine. The headache still hadn't gone away in time for church, and my honey went without me. When Thursday arrived, I didn't have a headache, and I was happy for that... but, I found out officially that we weren't having a baby. I wasn't depressed or anything this time, because I really wasn't expecting to be pregnant... But anyway, FBI will be ending soon, as will the school year (3 more weeks, can you believe that?!) so I am looking forward to things settling down a bit.

Obviously, not much cleaning went on last week. Yes, 3 days of being "out of commission" can wreak havoc in a household! My hubby is always really good at taking care of me when I'm sick or helping me clean up the house... but he's still working on doing both at the same time, lol! Thankfully, I was feeling much better by Friday, so the house was cleaned up in short order. Phew, what a relief! I cannot stand my house being a mess; it seriously drives me crazy!!!

Saturday was our church's Mother/Daughter banquet, so that was nice. I didn't have an absolutely wonderful time because my mom wasn't able to go, and this was the first year without Laura, as well. I felt a bit out of place, I guess. Yes, I'm a daughter, but I didn't feel like one since my mom wasn't there. Plus, all the talk about motherhood made me a little depressed because I haven't entered that stage of my life yet. Thankfully, Sherry brought cheesecake, and I was able to drown my sorrows in a few slices of her heavenly sweets, hehehe.

Yesterday was, of course, Mother's Day. My Airman and I took my parents out to lunch at Angelo's. It's a very small restaurant near the base, but the food is great, and the prices aren't too bad, either. We had a nice time together; it was bittersweet because I know that these times will be our last for a while. It's strange to think that we will be leaving here so soon. Yes, it's 8 more months, so that's still a ways off... but it's definitely not an eternity.

This town is my home, you know? This is the place I grew up -- both physically and spiritually. It was here that I met my best friend and original sisterchick, made (and kept!) a promise to be in each other's weddings, entered and (finally!) graduated high school here, learned how to seek God's direction in my life. It is the place I took my first college class. Japan is full of firsts for me. First drive, first job, first date... Misawa is the place we were married, set up our first house, and celebrated our first anniversary (well, in eleven more days!!).

Soon enough we will be marking down our "lasts" and starting a brand-new list of "firsts" somewhere else. As the saying goes, "Home is where the Air Force sends us." The thing I'm trying to remember through all of this is that we're not to be thinking, "What if...?" but instead we should be asking God, "What's next?" and be willing to take that next step of faith. Ultimately, God is in control - not Uncle Sam - and I know He has a plan for us... it's just hard to think of leaving all of this behind.

*sigh* I'm really going to miss it here.

No comments: