5/8/06

Progression

Is it just me, or did the weekend really fly by so quickly? Why is it that the days off always go by more quickly than the rest of the week? All during school I kept praying, "Lord, please let Friday be here soon!!!!" And now it's Monday. I guess that time is and always will be a paradox.

Yesterday morning, I was teasing Nathan about making me breakfast. He jokingly answered, "Sure. How does a bowl of Cheerios and milk sound?" When he got up out of bed, I figured he was going to get me just that. But, I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into the kitchen and smelled eggs and sausage. I noticed that he made my favorite sausage, too -- the kind he doesn't like -- just for me! He even went all out and melted some cheese in the eggs, hehehe. Isn't he a sweetheart?

Our pastor, his wife, and his oldest daughter have left for about 2 weeks (conference in the Philippines), so we have been hearing several of the men in our church preach. Last night, Bro. Hively preached a wonderful sermon about revival and growing in faith. The message really spoke to me about being willing to take the next steps of faith -- whatever they may be.

He mentioned that things in life are progressive. Some progressions are good, and others are bad. For example, King David started off by staying home from battle, moved on to looking and lusting, proceeded to adultery, and ended with murder. Most times, progression is talked about in a negative light... sin is brought up, but many forget to think on the good aspects of progression.

One illustration would be that of the life of Billy Sunday. He started off as a baseball player and a drinker, but he was saved by God's grace, gave up drinking, began to preach. Because of his powerful messages all of the bars/saloons in the area would close when they knew he was coming to town. What an amazing testimony for the Lord! I wonder how many souls were saved through his ministry; I can only imagine what it must have been like to sit under his preaching. It is truly mind-boggling what God can do through people who will allow Him to work!

Of course, the conclusion is that we should strive to have the same sort of changes in our lives. Granted, not everyone is called to be a preacher, and those who are will not always give messages like Billy Sunday... but that's not the point, is it? The point is that we are to take the next step of faith. What is God asking us to do? Is He telling us to change something? What do others think of our testimony? When people talk with us, can they see God at work in our lives?

At this time, Nathan and I are trying to determine the next step God would have us take. It's a little scary, you know? Getting married has really opened my eyes to all sort of things. I think this upcoming PCS has made me realize just how many decisions we will have to make in life...

What bases should we put on our dream sheet? That alone has been freaking me out! I am completely overwhelmed. I try to put that out of my mind, but then I remember, we'll have to start church-hunting, too. Plus, we'll either have to get a new car or pick up Nathan's old one from his parents. And what about housing? Will we live on-base? Should we start looking for off-base houses? . . . . . . . . . . . We can't decide anything until we know what our base is, but we won't know that until September or so...

When I think on these things too much, I start to get stressed, and I just feel like crying my eyes out. Suddenly, I am reminded of Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose.

And Psalm 9:10 And they that know thy name will put their trust in Thee: for Thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek Thee.

So, you know what? There really is nothing to worry about. If it were all up to me and Nathan, I would be stressing a lot more. Thankfully, it's not up to us to decide. It's all in the Lord's hands; He already knows where we're going to serve Him next, what church we should join... He knows what's in store for us. The Lord will fulfill His purpose for us... wherever it is.

No comments: