9/13/06

Special gift

I seem to have an affinity for ruining surprises My Airman has planned for me. Of course, I have absolutely no intention of doing so... it just... happens! I can't help it that we think alike! :o) I discovered my special "gift" when My Airman was deployed in Afghanistan last year. When he left, he brought a picture of us (taken on our first date) with him. After settling into his barracks, he cut the picture into a little home-made puzzle. Each time he sent me a letter, he would enclose a piece of the "puzzle"; on the back of each piece, he had written a reason he loved me. How sweet is that, right?

Well, one day when we were on the phone, we were talking about his return and how soon it was coming up. I knew he had only a few more pieces of the picture to send, and I said, "Hey! You know what would be a great idea?! You should save the last piece of the puzzle, and give it to me when you get off of the plane! Wouldn't that be neat?!"

I have never heard silence like I did that moment on the phone.

At first, I thought maybe the phone had been disconnected. Then, I heard him breathing, so I knew he was still there. After a few moments he said, "I can't believe you said that." I then decided I had made him upset and he didn't like my suggestion, so immediately began to apologize.

He finally told me, "Remember how I've been telling you that I have a huge surprise planned for you, and you can't know what it is until I get back?"

"Umm, yes," I said quietly.

"Well," he sighed, "I guess it's not a surprise anymore..."

The meaning behind his words sunk in. Boy, did I feel horrible! At the same time, though, I felt good, because it was wonderful knowing how sweet my husband was... even if his surprise was ruined! :P

I know there have been other times, but that was really one of the biggest ones that stands out in my mind...

Until now, that is. Last night, before we fell asleep, My Airman and I were cuddling and talking about our day. Conversation turned to upcoming plans, and, ultimately, to Jessica's visit. I don't know what made me think this, but I turned to him and said, "Hey, when we find out Jessica's fly-out date, you should make your leave for a few days longer. Then, we'd have some time together, and you wouldn't have to go back to work right away."

My Airman kissed my forehead, laughed, and said, "You know what? I think *kiss* I have solidified *kiss* in my mind *kiss* that you *kiss* will *kiss* always *kiss* ruin my surprises!"

Oops!

9 comments:

Tammy said...

My husband is the one who ruins all the surprises. :)

Amy said...

Awww..what a cute story. You two are such a sweet, loving couple.

Adele said...

At least you do it innocently!

I am glad you will get a few days together since your lives have been so hectic with his work schedule.

Arlene said...

Tammy, Nathan will be glad to know I'm not the only one with this talent! :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks, Amy :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Adele, I'm glad we'll get some time together, too! We really need it after all of this craziness

Samantha said...

That is so sweet, it made me choke up a little :) I love hearing stories about couples who are so in love with each other, it's wonderful!

Happymama said...

Awwwww, how sweet. Y'all are just dripping with gooey love. LOL I love it. ;o)

~Kristi

Jessica said...

Awwwww, that's so sweet!! :)

Jessica said...

Man! When did my brother turn into this romantic?? I wish I could take credit for training him how to treat a lady, but I gave up on that boy early on. I use to always say, "I'm going to warn every girl you ask out how you REALLY are!" Figures! When he finally asks someone out, he's on a whole nother continent and I am forced to be silent!

Now as I read how sweet he really is, I think.....

WHY WASN'T HE LIKE THIS WHEN HE LIVED AT HOME!??!?!?!?!?

:) ha ha

Arlene said...

Hehehe, Samantha and Kristi, I love hearing these kinds of stories, too... it's great when I get to tell one :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jessica #1, glad to have you visit for a bit. I see that you have a honey who does some sweet things, too :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jessica, I know Nathan surprises me, too! See, that's what you get for giving up on him too early; now you can't get any credit for it! Oh, well... maybe he really was listening only he never showed it at home? :P I'm sure you love him anyway. If you didn't, you wouldn't be flying across the glob to visit, right? ;o)