2/2/07

It's beginning...

... to feel like a home around here! Yesterday, we went grocery shopping to stock up on some much-needed pantry essentials. We have been eating out for what seems like forever, and I have to say, if I never have another chicken nugget for the rest of my life it will be too soon!!! With a newly-stocked pantry, I made spaghetti for lunch (it's my hubby's favorite, so I had to make it as our first meal in this house, lol), and baked up a batch of some yummy banana bread. I have been craving it for quite a while, so it was wonderful to eat a slice that was fresh from the oven. My honey came home for lunch and said, "Wow, this is what I missed -- you in an apron and the house smelling so good!!"

Since arriving here, we bought a new washer and dryer set -- our first MAJOR purchase as a married couple, that's for sure! In Japan, the base housing came with all of the major appliances (and, since we were newlyweds, we were able to get furniture for free, as well), so coming Stateside has been a bit costly! Thankfully, the Lord provided me with a man who is an extremely good steward of what God has given us, and we have been able to buy things here and there without going into any debt. There are still quite a few things we need to purchase, but we intend to remain debt-free, so they will be bought bit by bit over the upcoming paydays.

We are pretty much unpacked, though there are still a few boxes in the extra bedroom. Since we don't have a lot of furniture, some things will have to remain boxed up until we buy some bookshelves. We also need to buy a dresser, so we've been looking for something so that we can unpack our clothing... I'm getting sick of living out of suitcases, but at least we have a closet to hang things up in. I guess I'll be thankful for that, right? :o)

On another topic, I was able to visit with our new OB yesterday, and she said things were looking good with the baby. She expects I'll be right on time, so I'm hoping she's right! I am truly ready to sleep on my stomach, wear my old skirts, and hold that baby, LOL! He's really running out of room, and kicks my ribs often to prove it. ;o)

Anyway, my honey is home from work now, so I'm off to greet him! :o) Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!

7 comments:

Happymama said...

That's so sweet that you made his favorite meal for the first meal you cooked there. THAT'S making a house a home!

Good to hear that Caleb is on schedule. I'm so excited! LOL

And I can claim no rights to this, but I'm proud of Nathan for saving and paying cash for things you need. Bruce has always been a good steward also. Sometimes it's depressing when we see our friends having lots of things we don't and we're in the same income brackett. LOL But then we step back and look at the bigger picture. We're not in the same debt they're in. It's not looming over us like a big black cloud ready to unleash it's raining of endless bills and headache. LOL So keep looking at the big picture. The borrower is servant to the lender! ;)

~Kristi

Mrs.B. said...

I'm so glad that it's *finally* starting to feel like home for you all! (o:

Blessings,
~Mrs.B

Adele said...

I'm glad to hear you are feeling more settled in. Yard sales can be great places to find treasures - even furniture!

Can't wait to hear when little Caleb arrives!

Pam said...

What a pleasnt post! It took me back to my newlywed days, needing storage for my beloved books! You have such wisdom it seems, for your age. May God bless your sweet marriage and your sweet baby! I'm so glad I clicked on over here from Mrs. B's. It was a blessed little visit. You have encouraged my heart!

Rebecca said...

Ahhh, yes. I, too, remember borrowed furniture and no place to store much of anything.

Glad to hear your appt. with the OB went well. Waiting to hear any day now that Caleb is here!

ROANNE said...

Was it....Cowboy Spaghetti? LOL But, glad to hear that you guys are settling in. But, I feel so bad for you! I'm sure you must be about ready to pop by now! But, only a few more days until Caleb will be out and in your arms. Oh, and btw, I might have to get that banana bread recipe from you. Dan loves banana bread....

Liz said...

I just found your blog today and love it. Just wanted to say hi. We seem to have a lot in common. I just left Kadena when my son was 6 weeks old. He is 3 months now. We are at Whiteman AFB in Missouri now. Feel free to drop by my blog sometime if you'd like.

Love in Christ,
Liz

By the way, congratulations on your soon-to-be-here baby boy. Being a mommy is great!