3/31/07

Challenge

Well, we've made a decision recently, and I think it's going to affect us radically! We have decided to give up eating out for the next year. Yes, that's right, you read it correctly: no pick-up, no take-out, no nothing! Wait, take that back -- we're only allowed to eat out for an extremely special occasion (e.g., our anniversary) but other than that zilch, zip, nada!

We were looking at our budget and something had to give, so we decided on a few things to cut out, and fast food was one of them. It's not that we really ate out all that much, but we realized that we did it often enough that it will make a difference. Plus, we wanted to get out of our comfort zone a little and do something drastic! Another thing I've decided to do is start making a menu. What I've noticed is that my last minute dinner planning tends to cost us a little extra here and there, because I'll realize "Oh, wait, I don't have such-and-such" and we have to make a grocery run. Or, because I don't plan ahead, something goes bad in the fridge before I can use it. Little things like that add up.

So, in an effort to be more frugal, budget-conscious, and just plain better stewards of the money God has provided us, we're making some changes around here! The only thing I'm struggling with is my crazy cravings... like the one I'm having right now for a Scooter's strawberry smoothie!!! Guess I'll have to wait until next April! :o)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, good luck (well, we dont believe in luck, but umm, you get my point) with not eating out. I know we couldnt do that, so I praise you guys for that. We dont eat out often, but on weekends..when we're out ALL day, you just have to eat out. Who really packs a lunch to the mall?? LOL. Anywho, the menu is a good idea. I've been doing that for awhile, and it has helped A LOT!! You'll see a big difference soon. Oh, and the first thing I did was plan a menu around our pantry! Love you! You'll have to make me one of those smoothes when we get there ;)

Arlene said...

Yeah, I know it will be tough, that's for sure! Probably it will be a little easier for us since we don't have to drive an hour to get everywhere like you guys; everything is pretty close-by. I can't wait to see you guys... less than two weeks!!! Oh, and I have special permission from Nathan to get you a smoothie, hehehe :P

BLAZER PROPHET said...

Now, at my old age and being impovrished my wife & I are trying to cut back to twice per month. We like finding little 'dives' that are cheap eats, so to speak. The downside is that we try a lot of lousy food along the way.

Anyway, good luck with your agreement... "youuuuuuuuu deserve a break todaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy..."

Adele said...

Eating out can really add up. Sometimes I think we don't eat out that much, but when I really think about it, we probably eat out more than we realize. You'll probably be a lot healthier as a result!

I need to do the menu thing too. The other day I decided to have burgers on the grill. We had everything we needed until I realized we had no tomatoes or lettuce. Of course the burgers were edible without, but not as nice as they could have been. Some simple planning would have eliminated that situation!

Happymama said...

Wow, I must commend you and Nathan for the area in which you have chosen to cut back. Bruce and I have made a change recently too, but I haven't shared it yet...just in case we fail. LOL We haven't really given it to the Lord, which we need to do, but making a vow is serious business and we just haven't reached that point yet. LOL Aren't we TERRIBLE!! Anyway, you'll be surprised at how much you'll save and how much healthier you'll feel by skipping the fast food. I read your birthday post, it was so sweet of Nathan to get you the smoothie maker. I have some smoothie recipes somewhere. I'll try to dig 'em out for ya.

~Kristi

Arlene said...

BP, I can completely relate... we have found more than our share of "ghetto" places in our two years together! It is nice to take a break from eating out, but I do miss our favorite places!
~~~~~~~~
Adele, I'm hoping we will be healthier as a result... I have about 5 more pounds to lose to get back down to my pre-baby weight; they are just hanging on for dear life, LOL! Maybe we should start posting our menus to be held accountable and make sure that we actually stick to them
~~~~~~~~
Kristi, you're not terrible at all! I'd say about normal, LOL! Who wants to post something in case they fail? Of course, I posted it so that everyone would know, and then I would HAVE to make sure I stuck with it, because I don't want to blog about not keeping with our challenge, LOL! Oh, and Nathan is excited about the recipes... can't wait to try 'em out (well, once you give 'em to me, hehehe!)
~~~~~~~~