7/20/07

Good Deal!

Has anyone tried the new Taco Bell breakfast menu? Obviously, because of our commitment, we haven't gotten the chance to do much taste-testing at restaurants, but today was special. Taco Bell has been having "Free Breakfast Fridays" several times this month, so after we got ready for the day, we decided to give their meal a try. Today's free menu item was the Southwest Sausage Burrito; the location was actually out of sausage, but I asked if they could substitute bacon instead, and they complied. So, I was able to get a free breakfast this morning! Isn't it nice how God blesses in the little things? :o)

I didn't drive out that far just for breakfast, though. We were running low on milk, and Taco Bell is just a few buildings down from Kroger's, so that was my real reason for our morning trip. We don't normally shop Kroger (the Commissary on-base is cheaper and closer so we save on gas and food!), but they often have milk for a discounted price. Sometimes, there aren't any good deals, but today, there were several gallons of milk marked down to $1.75! I decided not to be greedy and only bought two of them, LOL! :~D

Plus, I drove on the highway -- all by myself! -- and didn't get lost or get into an accident! Woo-hoo! :P And (to back-track for a moment) while I was at Taco Bell, I was heading out the door holding the diaper bag and my breakfast in one hand, and Little Man and his car seat in the other.

(For those of you who don't know, I am very short (we're talking just over 5' 0" here!) and slender (as in under 90 lbs, okay?). When I have to carry around my baby in a car seat, I have a hard time! I really don't know what I'm going to do with this boy as he is getting older and
heavier, LOL! But, again, I digress...)

Anyway, I was slowly making my way to the door, all the while trying to figure out how I was going to get both of the doors open without dropping the baby or anything else. I had pretty much decided I would just put the boy down, open the door, and use my body to prop open the door... while I picked him up, set him down again, and repeated the process with the next set of doors.

Just before I made it to the first door and set the car seat down, an older gentleman walked by and said, "Wait! Here, let me get that for you." He smiled and held the door open for me, so I gratefully walked through -- just as I was about to thank him, he said, "Oh! Let me get that other door, too!" So, he walked around me, and held open the second set of doors for us, smiling kindly the entire time. I returned his smile and said, "Thank you very much!" And, he replied with a (genuine) "Have a great day!"

I am always happy to find a gentleman these days, as they are sometimes few and far between! Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about how my morning went. :o)

8 comments:

Happymama said...

I don't think the breakfast menu has made it down south. At least I haven't heard anything about it. I'll be looking for it though.

I love it when a gentleman passes my way. I wish more of our young men were trained to be gentlemanly.

Glad you had a good morning.

~Kristi

Jessica said...

If anyone holds a door for me, or is kind in anyway, I always make eye contact and give them a genuine thank you. That's my way of encouraging them to continue being courteous.

Jendi said...

Hello! I started reading your blog when you were packing to leave Japan. I enjoy it when you post.

I can relate to this story. I am about 5'1", but sad to say after 3 kids I weigh more than 90 lbs. =) My first baby was 10 lbs at birth and I remember those days of lugging that heavy, awkward, car seat. As soon as he could hold himself up fairly well I left that car seat in the car!

Have a blessed day!

Arlene said...

Jendi, it's nice to "meet" you! :) Glad you are enjoying the blog. I've just visited yours, as well, and I can tell we shall be great bloggy firends! :~)

Oh, dear... 10 lbs! Caleb was 7.9, and I thought THAT was heavy! :) I am very close to leaving the car seat behind, as well -- Soon!!!

Arlene said...

Kristi and Jess,

I agree; it is rare to find the gentlemen these days, but when we do, we should always encourage their chival-rous-ness! (okay, so I made up a word; you know what I'm saying, LOL!)

Samantha said...

I haven't tried the new Taco bell breakfast. I haven't really heard anything about it yet. I've been trying to stay away from that place lately...I have an addiction to thier spicy chicken crunchwrap surpreme, lol.

I was laughing at the last part of your post. I didn't realize you were so tiny! Although I think carrying all those things would be difficult for any of us to juggle. I'm sure I'll find out soon :)

Just out of curiosity...it sounds like you've lost all your baby weight already, did you have any certain exercises that you did? Or did it just come off from doing your normal daily activities?

Arlene said...

I understand all about addictions, Samantha... for me, it's the Cheesy Gordita Crunch! Mmmm, that sounds yummy! :)

Yes, you will find out soon; it's not so bad when the baby is newborn, but once he is bigger and a wiggler... well, that's when it gets tough!

Fortunately, I have lost all of my baby weight... Unfortunately, I'm still not quite back down to my previous size (although I can fit most of my old clothes, so I'm not too upset or concerned). I'm told my hips will never shrink back... so I'm telling you this now, lol! Oh, well. It's worth it! :P

I didn't do much exercise (primarily due to the recovery from the c-section, I really COULDN'T exercise at first. Now I'm just lazy, lol :P). Mostly, I just did the daily cleaning routine and breastfed. I think that helped a lot (you burn 500 cal per hour bf'ing alone!); I could literally feel my uterus contracting back down to size!

Now, though, I try to take Caleb out in his stroller everyday for a brisk walk around the neighborhood, so I think that is helping, as well.

I would have to say that being careful about what you eat and how much you gain during pregnancy will help make the post-natal weight loss go easier, though. You are looking just fabulous in your pregnancy, and sound as if you are doing everything right, so I'm sure you won't have any problems! :)

(sorry for the super-long comment, LOL!)

Samantha said...

I'm glad to hear that. I could probably be doing better as far as not gaining so much weight while pregnant! Geesh, I feel hungry all the time right now :)

500/calories per hour! I had no idea!