8/24/07

What is a disciple?

I promised Mrs. B that I would post my sermon notes from Wednesday evening's service, so I thought I would do that tonight. We have had visiting missionaries/pastors over the past few weeks, and I'm sorry to say that I can't remember this preacher's name. Even so, I enjoyed his sermon very much, and I was very convicted by what he had to say. I hope something will resonate with you, as well.


To be a disciple, one must first be a servant.
*Romans 1:1
Note the order Paul uses -- service before discipleship
The term servant means "bond slave." (cf Exodus 21:2-6)
  • voluntary submission
  • total commitment (Isaiah 50:6-7, 5)
  • acknowledges Jesus as Lord (literally "Master")


1.Discipleship requires a supreme love of Jesus Christ
*Luke 14:26
This verse is not advocating hatred of family. Rather, our love of Christ should be so strong so as to make it seem as if we "hate" them.
*Self-love is the greatest hindrance to discipleship and service*

2. Discipleship requires denial of self
*Matthew 16:24 *Matthew 26:39 *Galatians 2:20

  • This is not the same as self-denial.
  • It is complete submission to Christ.
  • Takes place when "self" abdicates the throne.

3. Discipleship requires a deliberate choosing of the cross

*Matthew 16:24b

The cross symbolizes...
  • shame
  • reproach
  • dishonor
  • persecution
A disciple chooses the cross...
  • Knowing that the world will heap persecution upon him as it did with Christ
  • And rejoices over the privilege of suffering for His Name
4. Discipleship requires a life spent following Christ
*Psalm 62:11
Living life in obedience to Christ.
Realizing that power comes from God; we can't do things in our own strength (the flesh)

5. Discipleship requires fruitfulness.
*John 15:8 *Romans 6:6 *John 15:2
We should continually be growing in our spiritual walk.
Growing from bearing...
  • No fruit
  • Fruit
  • More fruit
  • Much fruit
6. Discipleship requires a fervent love for all who believe
*John 13:35
We must be actively showing our love for fellow believers
*1 Peter 4:8 Love is an action *fervent --> "boiling"*
*Galatians 6:1-2 Be humble or stumble

7. Discipleship requires an unswerving continuance in the Word of God
*John 8:31

If
we continue... it's conditional. It's up to us to be in the Word.
A disciple cannot live without his daily dose of Scripture.
The Bible is so precious he doesn't want to let it out of his sight.

***This was the part that really convicted me. I have to admit that I do not have a hunger for God's Word as I used to, and have allowed myself to greatly backslide in this area. Praise God for giving so many chances to us, though, and allowing us the opportunity to make things right!***

8. Discipleship requires forsaking of all to follow Christ.
*Luke 14:33 *Philippians 3:4-8
Anybody can be a good winner.
The question is how do we handle losing?
What we we given up -- lost -- for Christ?

Are you satisfied with your current commitment?
What are you holding onto?
Jesus didn't hold on to Heaven.
He let go, and came to die on a cross for us.
Are we willing to be His disciples indeed?

4 comments:

Abbi said...

Oh what a great outline! Sometimes it's hard to imagine the sermon from the outline (unless you were there to hear it!) but these points are wonderful! Especially the comment that self-denial is completely different than denial of self. Isn't that a lesson that we as Mommies learn fairly quickly? (hopefully!)

My name is Abbi and I found you through links from someone's blog, no doubt! I have three, little children. Your son is so sweet!! And I know just what you are going through with your husband's test and waiting for those results. My husband had a state board test scheduled four days before I was due with our third child. It was essential for me to keep my eyes on the Lord for the timing of it all. But the Lord provided and now it's just a happy memory of how good God was to us during that time.

Anyhow, I thought I would introduce myself and say a "brief" hello! Have a great weekend!

Mrs.B said...

Thank you for taking the time to post your notes! I don't have time to read it right now but will be back on Monday to read all of it. (o:

Because of Christ,
~Mrs.B

Arlene said...

Abbi, so very nice to "meet" you! I'm glad the notes were understandable; I agree that sometimes it's difficult to understand things from an outline.

I'm trying to remember that these hard times will eventually be happy memories... if we remember to rely on the Lord... sometimes it is hard, though!

Thanks for introducing yourself :)

~~~
Mrs. B, I hope you had a wonderful weekend! I also hope you will be able to glean something from the notes I took :~)

Mrs.B said...

Excellent! I can see why you were blessed by this. Isn't it so amazing how easy it is for our hearts to grow lukewarm?!