9/21/07

Secret Shopping

Have any of you ever heard of or tried that? I've been curious about shadow/mystery/secret shopping, but have been hesitant to get started. Mainly because any of the offers I see require paid membership. I realize that the free things we'd get to try would more than likely cover the initial costs... but since we're cutting all excess costs right now, we just don't have any free funds to test the program. I figured that maybe I could give it a try next year...

At least, that's what I thought. :o)

I just recently learned that the Services Squadron on the base here is running a Secret Shopper program. I heard it on the base news line while I was on hold the other day, so when a contact number was given, I grabbed the nearest pen and paper to write it down!

After telling my husband about the program, he said, "Well, CALL! And ask if I can sign up, too, or if it's only one person per family."

So, being the obedient and submissive wife that I am... I called. ;o)

The POC was very excited to hear from me, as she had been having trouble enlisting people to sign up! Well, not us -- we are all for that free stuff, LOL! :o)

More good news came when she said that both of us could sign up for the program. So, Monday morning, we will go in for a brief Q&A session, as well as our information package. Isn't God good? :~D

I'm really excited about getting to visit new places without having to pay for them... did I mention that we like free stuff? Maybe we'll be asked to secret shop one of the restaurants on base, hehehe! ;o)

*Here's to hoping!*

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm actually signed up to be a mystery shopper in the area. But, a lot of my "jobs" require me to be alone. And that's not happening. Kyle goes where I go! LOL. They pay really nice, but Kyle comes first.

Jendi said...

Same with me. I was accepted to a mystery shopping program through the internet, but I have to go alone which is hard to do. If you are interested in that web site e-mail me.

Also - never, never, NEVER pay to secret shop or for any other "job." A job is where somebody pays you - not vice versa.

Have fun with your new job!

Arlene said...

Lau, that stinks that you can't bring Kyle! I didn't know that you had to be alone for the jobs. :|

~~~
Huh. I didn't know that, either, Jendi! Now I'm definitely glad that I didn't sign up for the program! I'll be sure to ask you for the website if I'm ever able to try it out. Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, never ever pay to mystery shop!!! They are usually scams!

Lau

Happymama said...

I've often thought about mystery shopping, but I've always been suspicious of the ads on the Internet. On the other hand, I know there are actual compaines out there that want mystery shoppers.

Glad to hear it's working out for you. God rewards those who are faithful to their commitments.

~Kristi

Rebecca said...

I am new to your blog. I see that you are married to a military man. I just started as a secret shopper on our army post. You can sign up to be a secret shopper for your PX/BX. Go to AAFES.com and look for the mystery shopper page. I think it will be near the bottom. All I have to go is turn in 3 sets of questionaires and in return I get $90 in a PX/BX gift card, and 6 post movie tickets that include popcorn and soft drink each. Here, that makes each ticked at least a $10 value.

Arlene said...

Kristi, I've always been suspicious, too; part of the reason I never signed up. But, this one's free, and it's affiliated with the base, so I figure they're not trying to scam me, LOL! Thanks for the encouragement :~)

~~~
Rebecca, it's nice to meet you! Thanks for the tip about mystery shopping with AAFES. I will definitely be looking into that some more! It would really be great if I could get accepted for that! :)

Mrs.B said...

I hope it works out well for you. How neat that you're both able to do it. (o: