10/1/07

That time of year

So, I think fall is finally starting to arrive around these parts. It's been slowly cooling off lately, and it's actually been comfortable to walk around outside. I even turned on the heater... it was short-lived, of course. It got too hot, LOL!

I do love almost everything about autumn -- the colors, the changing of the leaves, the beautiful scenery... the spiders? Not so much!

Yes, that's right. We have new tenants in our home!

Since the temperatures have been dropping during the night, the creepy-crawlers have decided to begin moving in! It wouldn't be so terrible if they were of the itsy-bitsy variety.

Oh, who am I kidding? Any sort of spider is terrible!

But, really. These boogers are h-u-g-e! With body segments the size of quarters! :|

I'm not being dramatic because of my slight case of arachnophobia, either! Really, I promise! I wish that were the case... I'm cringing just thinking about them. Yuck!!!

The other night, while I was waiting for my husband to come home, one of them decided to come out and walk around. It would have been all right if not for the fact that it had been hiding underneath the very couch on which I was sitting! Watching it crawl out from the exact spot where my feet had been resting was quite nerve-wracking, to say the least. And, of course, it completely freaked me out!

I would like to pause and point out that I did not scream hysterically. I do know how to exercise a teensy-bit of self control, thankyouverymuch.

I then did what any strong, capable, level-headed woman would do in my situation. I called my husband. And cried. And practically had a panic attack, LOL! I'm such a baby; I admit it!

Well, of course, My Airman couldn't just leave work for a wimpy wife to help me out. He tried to calm me down and talk me through killing it myself... But... it didn't exactly work very well.

I told you -- scroll up; it's right there -- I'm a baby when it comes to large, creepy, crawly things that bite!

So, I was on my own.

I called a couple from church (they live two blocks away -- I'm sure they were happy about that at the time). You didn't really think *I* was going to kill it by myself, did you? Nicole offered to get it, but then asked "How big is it?"... then said, "Oh. Yeah, Micah will be right over." ;o)

So he came. And killed the spider. And cleaned up all the guts off my floor. And brought spider spray. And teased me non-stop Are they good friends, or what? LOL!

I'm hoping this will end soon, because they only come out after my honey leaves for work, and I can't be calling people all the time, LOL. I'm certainly not going to suddenly grow some nerves and be able to kill the nasty little things on my own! I don't think that's even an option! :o)

The good news is that by this time next year, we (should be) out of this house and moved into a new -- preferably spider-free -- home!

11 comments:

Michelle Finsand-Peacock said...

LOL, you poor girl! I'm not fond of spiders either but more than that, they creep me out in an OCD way. Yuck! I can't stand to kill them either. Your hubby wouldn't dash from work to kill the beast? Shame on him, lol!

BTW, where did you get the military blinkies in your sidebar? I'd love to put them in my blog. And thanks to your husband for serving our country!

Laura said...

Oh my goodness, Arlene!!!!!!! The same exact thing happened to me last night!! Kyle and I went to the kitchen to get a drink, and I turn around, and sitting by the wall, was the biggest spider I have ever seen. I had goosebumps ALL over my body. Only difference, I DID scream! I didnt know what to do. I looked out my window and saw my neighbors were home. I ALMOST went and got them, but I was dressed in pj's. That would mean I would have to change and get Kyle and knowing how things work out for me, the spider would have been GONE by the time we got back. Sooo, I called my sister and whined to her for like 10mins, just staring at the spider. I was trying to hold back my tears. I finally killed it and I felt so much better. She listened to me kill the spider and said "Laura! It sounded like you were giving birth!!!" Hahahaha.. it was bad. Anyways, pretty interesting how we both had the same night!!!

Arlene said...

LOL, Lau, I promise I was grunting and groaning while I watched it, too! The ONLY reason I didn't scream was that Caleb was sleeping... otherwise, I totally would have! Nathan tried to tell me to get one of our neighbors to do it, but I was too chicken, LOL!

And, the other day while I was waiting for Nathan to come, I was watching a spider... and then it crawled under the stove before he came home!!!! Now I am so paranoid that it's going to crawl out while I'm cooking!

~~~
Michelle, I know; how terrible that he couldn't get off of work, right? There should be some sort of allowance for things like that! ;)

I just did a search on yahoo for "blinkies" and "military blinkies" and clicked through pages until I found ones that I liked. I only used blinkies that didn't require a link back to their site, and then hosted them on my photobucket account. If I remember, I'll try to find the exact location and send it to you.

Happymama said...

No worries, Arlene, you did exactly what I would have done. Spiders don't bother me THAT much, but when they're the size you described, I certainly do not want them in my house. lol

Stock up on the spider spray!!!

~Kristi

Arlene said...

LOL, no kidding! I haven't seen any spiders since that last one... so hopefully, I won't need to use the spray any time soon! :)

Anne said...

As I sat here reading this, a tiny spider crawled down right in front of the computer screen... it was as if he wanted to read about his friends in your house:o).

Mrs.B said...

We have been having TONS of spiders this year! Thankfully not too many have been in the house but every time I go outside there are HUGE ones on the door frame and it freaks me out!!!!!

And it seems like they've been REALLY HUGE this year too.

Arlene said...

Anne, what perfect timing, LOL! I would prefer not to give your little friend anymore reading material, though! :P

~~~
Mrs. B, yuck! I would be afraid to walk outside the door for fear of one being too close! *cringe*

I agree with you -- I think they are really HUGE this year... of course, this is our first year in the area. BUT that doesn't matter! They are still huge, LOL!

Melissa said...

Yesterday, I felt quite proud of myself -- I killed a spider all on my own! It was small, but still. Usually, I am similar to you -- I'm one of those screaming types that yells "Honey!!! Get it!!! NOW!!!" Except he was a few hundred miles away, and therefore not at my spider-killing disposal. :) So I nabbed it myself. Very gingerly, but it died and that is good. The end. :)

Beverly said...

Hello - I can't remember how I got to your wonderful blog - but I'm sooooo glad I got to read this post.

I am gratified to hear that I'm not the only one that is deathly afraid of big spiders! Hubby is taking two classes and has to be gone late at night. Am I afraid of burglers? Not so much. I'm scared that a huge spider will come out and taunt me while he isn't there to kill it! It has only happened once so far, and I am traumatized.

Thanks so much for making me feel that I am NOT ALONE!!

Bev from The High Calling

Arlene said...

LOL, Bev, always nice to know we're not alone in our craziness! So, I thank you for sharing your fear, as well. I enjoy telling my husband that "I'm not the only one!"

I had to kill one myself the other day, and I believe it will haunt me for life. I still don't walk over the spot where its body was squished... I feel as if somehow it might be able to get me, LOL!