11/4/07

Sick (with updates thrown in)

I'm home from church today.

Sick.

I hate being sick.

What's worse is that my baby is sick, too. So both of us are sniffly and out-of-it. Little Man has it worse than I do, though. If it weren't for him, I would have gone to church because I'm doing much better today than I've been the past few days. I'm mostly over it, actually.

Unfortunately, today is Little Man's worst day. So, rather than share the cold with the babies in nursery, I decided to keep the boy home. I can't stand to see my baby so uncomfortable. :o(

The good news is that despite his coughing like a seal, snorting like a pig, and perpetually runny nose, he has managed to keep his usual sunny disposition. He take after his daddy not only in looks, but also in personality. :o)

When I am sick, I can get pretty g-r-o-u-c-h-y! Thankfully, I don't get sick very often. Praise the Lord for blessing me with a healthy immune system!

But on to other topics... like, what do people who don't go to church DO all day? It's only 9:15 and I'm bored out of my mind! I can't even remember the last time I stayed home from a service.

Well, actually, the last one I missed was because I was in the hospital... having a baby. Hmmm... I think that's a legitimate reason for my absence, wouldn't you say? :o)

Anyway, the baby's is down for a nap right now, so I just wanted to give a short update on things before I get started on lunch preparations (chicken soup, of course!). It's been so busy the past week or so. I've barely been on the computer. Just quick snippets of time here and there.

**Our church had a revival with Dave McCracken last week -- and if you've never heard the man preach, you are surely missing out! He is booked years in advance; the Lord's hand is definitely on him and his ministry. He's pretty crazy sometimes, but when he's serious -- watch out! He will be stepping on some toes!

**My Airman was put on weekends for the next two weeks. But last night, his shop changed it, so he's off of weekends. He's going to be on days for the next few weeks while he goes in for some classes and training for his 7-level.

(If you're not military, you're not going to know what I'm talking about... I hardly know what I'm saying, LOL! Suffice it to say, he needs these classes to train him for being in a supervisor-type position. Because, if you'll recall, he passed his test and will be putting on Staff Sergeant next summer. )

**We recently took over the bus ministry in our church. Attendance is up, but we're still averaging around 15 people per week. This has really absorbed a lot of our time on the weekends (visitation on Saturday, and of course, picking everyone up on Sunday), but we are starting to see fruit for our labors -- one woman was saved last week! She and her family have been pretty faithful in coming, so we're hoping they will keep it up and that more of her family will come to know the Lord.

The past few weeks we've mainly been watching to see how things are being run. Now that we're starting to get a feel for the route, we're discussing changes we'd like to implement over the next few months.

**Our church has recently started a truck stop ministry. We have a few teams of men who rotate holding services each Sunday. Pastor has been planning to give a few preaching classes to help train more men to... well, preach. My Airman and a friend have been talking about going as a team and are planning to attend the preaching classes this Saturday. I'm not sure when he would be put on the rotation, but I'm guessing in the next month or so.

It's been very busy, pretty exciting... sometimes exhausting. but we know that one day, it truly will be worth it all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY you updated!! Sounds like yall are busy busy!! We are in AL still. My grandfather passed away! Its been rough but he went very peacefully! I am going with Lis Catledge to the prison ministry THurday night so I am pretty excited about that!! HOPE YALL GET BETTER!!

Love jenny

Jendi said...

So glad to "hear" from you.
Sorry to hear about the colds. I'm sure the other mothers appreciate you keeping the cold to yourself. I think that people that don't go to church on Sundays also don't honor it as a day of rest so they treat it as a normal day and keep busy.
The bus ministry is such a great ministry! May God bless your work with it.
Have a great day!

Grace said...

Arlene~ I hope that you and Caleb start feeling better soon! I know how busy things can get...especially now that my husband and I have started traveling on deputation!

That is exciting that you have the opportunity to work in the bus ministry, I had fun being a worker on a church bus during high school and Bible college:)

Samantha said...

It sounds like you've been pretty busy. I hope you and your little guy feel better soon. It's awful to see little babies sick because they sometimes don't understand that they're going to get better. They also can't tell you what's wrong or what hurts. Hopefully it's just a little cold that will go away quickly!

It sounds like there are some pretty awesome things going on in your church. God is good!

Happymama said...

Amen, Arlene. It will truly be worth it all. It's so good to hear how busy you've become at your church with your family. It's easy for a woman to become involved, but it's so much more exciting when you're working alongside your hubby!

I hope you and little Caleb are well soon. I'll say a prayer for you.

~Kristi