12/10/07

Christmas Meme

I just discovered that Jendi tagged me for this meme. I love reading memes; it's fun to find out interesting little tidbits that might never make it into the blog normally. It sort of makes me feel as if I know the blogger a little better, don't you feel the same way?

Anyway, if you get bored reading these things, feel free to skip this post.

Personally, I am bored out of my mind because my husband is working twelves this week, and I'm doing everything I can to avoid going to sleep all by my lonesome. I'm praying this week will pass by quickly... here's hoping that this meme will help the time fly a little, as well. :o)


1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Um, both, actually. It depends on the type of gift, really.

2. Real or artificial tree?
Well, we don't do either. Not because we're anti-tree or anything like that. We just haven't had a "real" Christmas together yet. Our first Christmas, My Airman was deployed to Afghanistan. Our second, all of our household goods were packed up and shipped off for our move back Stateside. And this Christmas,we'll be visiting family in WI. So, we're still without a tree -- well, I do have a 1' tabletop one, but I don't really count that. Especially since it's still packed away. I'm hoping that we'll finally have one by next Christmas, LOL! I grew up with artificial, but my honey's lobbying for a real one. Next year, I'll let you know who wins! ;o)

3. When do you put up the tree -- Thanksgiving, or the day after?
Ideally, I'd wait until December 1st. I'll have to let you know know what we actually end up doing whenever we get a tree of our own!

4. When do you take down the tree?
When I was living with my parents, we usually took it down around New Year's. I think. It's been a few years, so I don't exactly remember.

5. Do you like eggnog?
Love it! Even bought some today -- discounted to $.75 -- as a surprise for my husband. :o) We always dilute it 50/50 with milk, though... makes it last longer. I think it tastes better that way.

6. Favorite gift you received as a child?
Oh, I have a terrible memory. I don't remember E-V-E-R being terribly disappointed, though, so I have no complaints. :o) My parents tried hard to give us wonderful Christmases, and I think they succeeded!

7. Do you have a nativity scene?
Not yet. I'm still slowly building my decor stash, you know. We've only been married 2.5 years, lol. I am on the lookout for the perfect set, though... haven't seen it yet.

8. Hardest person to buy for?
Both sets of parents! Sometimes a certain airman I married...

9. Easiest person to buy for?
Probably my best friend, Laura. Sometimes a certain airman I married...

10. Worst Christmas gift ever received?
I'm with Jendi; I try to forget these, LOL!

11. Christmas cards: snail mail or e-mail?
We do snail mail, and I try to write a personal note in each one. This year, we even included pictures.

12. Favorite Christmas movie?
I guess I'd pick "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" -- both versions. "It's a Wonderful Life" is right up there, too, though... I should quit before I start naming others!

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Whenever I see something and think "Oh, that would be perfect for so-and-so" and can convince my dear husband that we should buy it. We finished all of our shopping before Thanksgiving this year! Woo-hoo! I'm hoping to start buying things bit by bit throughout the year next time.

14. Have you ever "recycled" a Christmas present?
Probably, but I can't recall a specific incident. If I think another person would appreciate an item more than we would [do], then I don't have a problem with letting them enjoy it.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Um, everything! Especially if it's something sweet. Dessert is my downfall, for sure!

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
I like white lights... my husband wants to do colored. So far, I've won out because I do all the decorating. Someday, he might help, and then we'll see who wins, LOL! :o)

17. Favorite Christmas song?
CHRISTmas song: I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Holiday song: Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas
I love (good) Christmas music, period!

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
We've never actually done Christmas at our home yet (see #2) The first two years we spent with my parents and the Hivelys. This year we're traveling quite a few hours... I'm sure at some point we'll stay home. Maybe if we get stationed overseas in a few years?

19. Can you name Santa's reindeer?
I can name the 7 Dwarfs! But, I guess that's not what the question's asking. Ummm... Rudolph, Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Cupid, Comet, Blitzen. Are there only 7? I don't even know, LOL! Can you tell I didn't grow up learning about Santa?!

20. Do you have an angel or a star on top of your tree?
Neither. Again, see question #2. At some point, I'd like to find a beautiful star to top our tree. We browse the stores to see if there's anything we like... so far we haven't fallen in love with anything yet.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
The music garbage played loudly throughout the stores. If it were the real Christmas carols, I would be happy, but it seems that everyone has just remade the good songs and RUINED them! Does anyone even come out with anything original anymore? (well, I guess some people might, but it's usually just junk that we don't listen to anyway... can you tell that the degradation of music is one of my soapboxes, hehehe!)

23. Shopping: mall or online?
I usually end up doing a little of both. I try to go early enough that it doesn't matter which one we use.

24. Do you decorate outside for Christmas? Or just inside? (or at all?)
So far, it's just been inside. In the future, we'd like to do both, but it's just not feasible or really necessary right now as we'll be out of town for the season.

25. Favorite Christmas cookie?
Hmmm... I love cookies, period! Did I mention that sweets are my weakness?! One year, my mom made these fantastic cinnamon-y cookies... they were more like little cookie cups with some cinnamon chips in them... I don't know what they were called, but man, they were good! Maybe someday I'll get the recipe *ahem*wink, wink*nudge, nudge* ;o)

26. Do you own Christmas clothing or jewelry?
I have some snowflake earrings my mom gave me. Nothing specifically Christmas, I suppose. Mostly winter-y items.

27. Do you decorate your tree in any specific way?
Well, I've only decorated my tabletop tree once. The colors that year were red, white, and gold. I had twinkling, white lights; red and white poinsettias with gilded edges; and tiny, red and gold ball ornaments interspersed throughout the tree. I'd like to follow in my mom's footsteps and have different themes each year. One year she did a patriotic Christmas, another was red and white, and another was blue and silver. They're always very elegant and pretty! I have many lovely memories of how our home was decorated with love and care -- not the main reason for the season, of course. But, it was never so overdone that it detracted from our celebration of Christ's birth. I'd like to do the same thing in our home for our family.

Well, Jendi tagged a few people, so I guess I'll do the same. Of course, if you're too busy and/or have no desire to do these, I won't be offended in the least. :o)

How about...
1. Tori
2. Susan
3. Kristi (you never did do the last one I tagged ya for, lol)
4. Vicky

If anyone else cares to do this meme, please consider yourself tagged. Be sure to comment and let me know so that I can come read yours!

7 comments:

Happymama said...

Did I not do the last one? Oh dear...send me a link and I'll do them both. Was it during the time daddy was so sick by chance?

And by the way, I loved what was in my mailbox! What a beautifully happy family!

~Kristi

Arlene said...

Oh, Kristi, girl, don't worry; I'm just teasing. I know you were (uh, and ARE) so busy! Just do this one, and we'll call it even; you don't have enough time to do this and this one!!! :~)

And, I'm glad you got the card... see? I wrapped a present for you; I just didn't include you in my list ;) hehehe!

Vicky said...

Thanks for tagging me, Arlene! :)

I am working on it now, but if I don't get it done, check my place tomorrow. :o)

BTW, your cinnamon roll biscuits look AMAZING! I may make some today - it's snowing here and would be perfect with a warm cup of hot chocolate. :)

Arlene said...

I'm looking forward to reading it, Vicky! (I just realized I spelled your name wrong! I'm sorry!!! Now I have to go back and change it!!!)

I hope you do make the rolls; they are yummy and oh-so-easy! :~)

jendi said...

Your Christmas card that I got in the mail made my day! Thank you!

Thanks for playing along with the meme. I'm guess I'm glad that I kept you from your bed. ;)

Have a great day!

http://jendisjournal.wordpress.com

Vicky said...

Hi again! :) Oh, no problem about the name thing - even my aunts who have known me since birth can't remember it! :)

I just finished so it should be posted now. Thanks! :)

Arlene said...

Jendi, I'm glad it arrived safely and on time :) Thanks for giving me something to do to pass the time, LOL!

~~~
Vicky, thanks for being so understanding. People misspell my name all the time, so I know it can get annoying to correct people, LOL! Thanks for humoring me and doing the meme :)