1/8/08

Smothered Burgers

I realize that sometimes blog hopping can be a bad thing, but lately it's been a good thing.

I was visiting Sandra's blog, who led me to Cheri's yummy recipe for smothered hamburgers. I have had a packet of brown gravy mix in my pantry for a few months. I didn't buy it, but was given it with a nice package of food items for our pantry... the other goodies are long gone now, and I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what to do with this packet!

Anyway, when I found Cheri's recipe, I knew what I would be making for our lunch today! Of course, I don't really ever follow a recipe exactly; and, of course, I didn't have everything her recipe called for, so I made a few substitutions and this is what I came up with...

It was sooooo yummy!!! My hubby was practically drooling while I was cooking, and he wouldn't wait to eat so I could take a picture of his burger. Thankfully, I was able to get a picture of my own fully assembled burger. Mmmm-mmmm, I'm getting hungry again just looking at it! ;o)

Smothered Burgers
1 lb. ground beef
1-2 Tbs. dried chopped onions
1-2 tsp. seasoned salt (I used Lawry's)
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1-2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 medium onion, sliced thinly
1/2 medium bell pepper, cut into strips
1 pkg. brown gravy mix
1/2 - 3/4 cup water
splash of milk *optional*
4 burger buns, split and toasted
4 slices extra sharp cheddar cheese

In a bowl, combine beef and next 5 ingredients. Heat a large skillet over medium heat; drizzle with a little EVOO. When pan is ready, score meat into 4 portions, separate, shape into patties, and place in skillet. Cook 'til just shy of desired doneness (I did about 6 or 7 minutes total... I think, lol) Remove burgers to a plate.

Drop in onions and peppers; make sure to scrape up those good brown bits off the bottom of the pan! Season with salt and pepper. Saute' until softened.

Sprinkle in brown gravy mix and pour in water. Stir until well combined and sauce begins to thicken. Add more water until gravy is at desired thickness. (I actually added a splash of milk to lighten up the sauce just a bit) Place burgers back in pan and cook until gravy is reduced slightly, veggies are tender, and burgers are done.

Place patties on bottom of each bun, top with slice of cheese and a spoonful of gravy and veggies. Cover with burger tops. Eat!

I used whole wheat buns that were discounted at our commissary bakery, and they were yummy! I think I will have to try making up some of my own if they don't go on sale again soon. This recipe is definitely going into my tried-and-true file! :o)

*Please note: Some of the seasoning measurements are estimates, as I tend to eyeball things and/or measure in my hand. Feel free to use as much or as little of things as you like -- or even leave things out according to your own taste preferences!*

5 comments:

Happymama said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe, it looks great!

And get some sleep! I'm one to talk, huh? lol

~Kristi

Grace said...

That recipe looks delicious! I'll have to try it sometime soon:)

Roanne said...

Wow, that looks absolutely delish! Way better than Burger King! LOL And listen to you "eyeballing measurements" and stuff. I think Rachel Ray should watch out, otherwise you might take over her show. =D

Mrs.B said...

The recipe looks delish!! (o;

And I hope the sleeping tip helps. I've found that it has helped me tremendously!

Oh and the pictures below of your sweet baby are A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E!!

Blessings,
~Mrs.B

Tori said...

Looks yummy! Look at all the good things you can learn in blogville!