2/25/08

Already?

My baby boy turned 1 this month

I want to tell him: "No more growing, okay? Just be my little baby forever..." but it's not going to happen, is it? :|

I don't believe it's been a year since we brought him home, do you?

Shortly before 2 that morning, my little man woke me up. He was born at 1:49am, so his timing was impeccable, I guess.

At first, I was nursing him while sitting in the rocker, barely cognizant of anything around me. At some point though, the fog cleared from my brain, and I realized that it was his birthday.

Sometimes, during the late night/early morning hours of nursing, I do my "duties" with a begrudging spirit. I am in there simply biding my time 'til the moment I can lay him back down and rest my head upon my pillow.

It must have been the Lord that made the significance of the time "click" in my head. Just so that I would be grateful for the past year and remember to cherish this time with my baby boy... he'll not be my baby for much longer.

One day, I won't have a nursing one, and I know I'll miss the sweetness of these moments. I won't remember the long hours or the sleepless nights. I'll only long for the scents. the sounds. the snuggling.

After the realization set in, I softly whispered, "Happy birthday, Baby Boy," and sent up a prayer of thankfulness. Children really are a blessing from the Lord, and I'm so glad He chose to grant us the charge of this little one. My biggest prayer is that we will be able to raise this little man for His honor and glory.

Mommy and Daddy love you!
Now, if you'll excuse me.
I need to grab some tissue and bawl my eyes out.

Yes, that is a scratch on his cheek. No, we didn't put it there. He seems to have a knack for waking up with new "battle scars" after nap time. I think he gets that from me; I find scrapes and scabs all the time and I have no idea when I got them. Anyway, here is he enjoying one of his presents from Aunt Jessie!

9 comments:

Mrs. C said...

Happy Birthday to precious little Caleb. Enjoy him, Arlene. :)

Vicky said...

Happy Birthday, little cutie Caleb!! Time flies, doesn't it??

Mikaylah scratches herself all the time! Usually when I want to take pictures, too! :o)

Happymama said...

OHhh, boo hoo! I can't believe he's already a year old!!!!!! Time flies, doesn't it? One day you'll turn around and he'll be towering over you. That's REALLY sad...trust me. But it's exciting seeing them grow too. Cherish the memories, sis!

~Kristi

Anonymous said...

He is getting to be such a big boy! Hugs and kisses all around from each of us!

Rebecca

Samantha said...

Such a sweet post! You almost had me in tears because I can so relate to what you were saying about nursing. It's such a beautiful time and sometimes when I'm exhausted and not wanting to do the late night nursing/diaper changes it hits me how blessed I am to have this time with her.

I just can't believe Caleb is one already. Happy birthday little guy! He's gettin way too big, tell him he's got to stop all that growing :)

Adele said...

Happy birthday, Caleb! What a little cutie.

Mrs. Brigham said...

Happy belated birthday to sweet little Caleb! :D

Jendi said...

Hope he had a great birthday!
Can't believe I've been reading your blog for over a year! I remember waiting for you to have your baby.
Congrats!

BrittLeigh said...

aw, how sweet! Happy Birthday to your adorable little man. He sure has a good momma :)