2/19/08

Dinner Tonight

Hey, did anyone else see that the editors of Everyday Food have started a blog? It's still pretty new, so there aren't a ton of recipes up just yet, but there are enough to whet one's appetite.

If you haven't already, go take a look! Hmmmm... I think I'll be adding these mini turkey burgers to next month's menu :o)

And, since we're on the topic of things to try, I made Mrs. T's recipe for Pepper Jack Chicken for dinner tonight. It was delicious!

As usual, I made a few changes and substitutions, but it still turned out wonderfully! Next time, I will try it as written :o)
I'm posting a copy of Kelli's photo because I forgot to take one.
Just try to tell me that doesn't look yummy!!!

In case anyone's wondering, my changes are as follows:
2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
1/2 small onion, sliced thinly
1 large bell pepper, sliced into strips
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. minced ginger
1 tsp. cumin
extra chili powder
Salt and pepper, to taste

I only had a tiny bit of salsa, so I had to add extra spices
All other ingredients remained the same.
Due to time constraints, I did not use my crockpot.

Saute the veggies and meat 'til tender and chicken is no longer pink. Set aside. Make roux as directed. After mixture has thickened, stir in cheese, salsa, and seasonings. Return veggie mixture to pan and heat through.
I ladled this over rice and served a salad alongside.
Delicious and nutritious! :o)

8 comments:

Samantha said...

That does look yummy! I bet if we made it with brown rice and light on the cheese it would fit into our diet :) In fact, I may make that for dinner tonight...to bad I don't have the right type of cheese. I'll have to let you know how it turns out.

Arlene said...

Don't worry; I didn't have the right cheese, either. I just used a tiny bit of mozzarella, lol. It's a versatile recipe, I must say! Can't wait to hear how yours comes out! :~)

Mrs.B said...

Your new blog design looks BEAUTIFUL!! Great job Arlene. (o:

And your recipe sounds yummy too.

Hugs,
~Mrs.B

Tori said...

Hmm, that looks so good. Maybe I can make it work for low-fat. Hmm, just maybe.

Grace said...

That look so delicious! The picture is making me hungry!:) I love using my Crockpot so I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe. By the way I like your new blog layout, it really looks nice.

Tori said...

Hey Arlene,
Thanks for the tips on how to make this yummy dinner lower fat, I need to think of a substitute for the pepper jack. Hmm, that's a hard one. Hey in Croatia we don't even have a pepper jack, that's why it's a mission field!! °Ü°

Day by Day said...

Thanks for this post. It is exactly what I needed to day, because I had viewed this on Mrs. T's website, but realized I didn't have 6 hours for the crock pot. Now I will be able to make this dish for my hubby tonight.

Your blog design is very pretty. Did you design it your self or did someone do it for you? I need /want to do something with different with mine.

Thanks again!

Arlene said...

DBD (Lisa?), I tried to click your link to your profile to leave a comment on your blog, but I didn't notice a link to your blog or an email, so... hopefully, you'll see my reply here. :)

I'm glad my little "review" was helpful to you; I'm certain you and your family will enjoy the meal! My husband told me that when he was reheating his leftovers at work, his coworkers were jealous of the delicious smell wafting from the breakroom, LOL! :)

Also, I did do the design myself. Toward the bottom, on the right-hand side of my blog, I have listed the links to places I used to get the design -- including some helpful html posts. If you have any questions or are confused about something you find, just let me know! I'd be more than happy to help! :~)

Let me know how that dinner turns out!!!