3/10/08

She's all ours!

Well, some of you may remember the challenge we gave to ourselves last year, though you might not exactly know the reasoning behind it.

When we moved back stateside, we didn't have a family vehicle, and with my due-date being so close, we had very little time to choose a car. We found the best we could, with as much praying as we could, and made as large a down-payment as we could.

We are not ones to enjoy being in debt, and although we have what is termed "good debt" we decided to take drastic steps to eliminate our bills in as short a time possible.

We set a goal to be debt-free by the 1 year mark of our first payment. Here was our plan of attack to reach that goal:
  • Gave the Lord our finances (I really think this is key!)
  • Budgeted
  • Menu-planned
  • Quit eating out
  • Doubled up on payments
  • Cut back to the necessities to free up $$
  • Applied large chunks of 07 and 08 tax return to loan
  • Reduced excess spending
    • No highlights/hair color (uh, for me, obviously)
    • No trying out bunches of new makeup products every month (again, for me)
    • Repeated the following motto to myself:
      • Use it up.
      • Wear it out.
      • Make it do.
      • Or, do without.
    • Repeat it over and over and over again.
May I say, once again, God is good -- all the time! Not once were we starving or lacking in anything! Yes, there have been lean times, but the Lord really showed Himself to us this past year. We claimed Philippians 4:19 for ourselves and found God's Word to be true yet again. He honestly and truly did supply all our needs! We had to forgo a few wants (okay, mostly I did... have you noticed that the problem spender would be me?! Thankfully, I have a super patient husband.), but the Lord even provided for many of those, too!

It has been just under one year since we took on our loan, and despite all odds, God provided. I've even learned a lot about contentment and living within our means. Now, we're working to see about reaching those other goals.
Lola is ours
Paid in full!
Praise God from whom all blessings flow...


Picture Credit
That's not actually our car.
But, she looks almost exactly like it.

10 comments:

Tori said...

Wow, Wow, Wow!!!
Congratulations!!! What a great achievement. I'm so impressed and your plan of attack was great. This is a very good post, do you mind if I link to it? Yea for Lola!!

Also I was going to ask if I could post your meatball mix and of course I'll give you all the credit! :0)

Arlene said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Tori; no I don't mind if you link to this or post "my" meatball mix. I found the recipe at recipezaar.com, so it's not really my recipe, lol. You should go there -- it has a ton of great recipes!

Samantha said...

Congratulations on acheiving your goals! Goals are easy to make, it's the following through that's hard. You guys did a great job sticking to your plan :)

Nice car BTW!

Mrs. C said...

This is certainly something to celebrate about! Now go get some highlights--you deserve it! :)

Grace said...

How exciting! That is such a great accomplishment. Isn't it fun to look for new ways to save money! If nothing else, It's a great way for us to do our part to help our husbands with the finances. It is always so neat to see how God will blesses when you trust Him.

Debbie said...

Hi I was just linking from someone else blog and wanted to say... Way to go. It is really wonderful seeing a young couple put God first, set such a goal and achieve it. God bless.

Happymama said...

Woo Hoo!!! God rewards those who are faithful and you have obviously been faithful. I'm so happy for you and Brother Nathan!

Congrats!

~Kristi

BrittLeigh said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is awesome... and SWEET car.

Lauren said...

Congrats! I just found your blog through someone else's... I'm 22 and recently married, too... and something else that is funny: my car's name is Lola!

Daughter of the King said...

This was such a great post, especially with today's economy.
Very encouraging to all of us...to be more and more frugal.
Deby