4/28/08

72 to go

"The young couple was determined to be together –
and so they remained,
inseparable through thick and thin,
for 75 years....

Though their relationship wasn't always the height of romance,
their bond was awe-inspiring:
The couple went through all of life's ups and downs together...
"
Such a sweet story. And so encouraging to read!

"All of life's ups and downs."
All of them! If only more married couples would remember there are more downs in life than there are ups! Then maybe the divorce rates wouldn't be so ridiculously high these days :o(

Marriage isn't all about flowers and romance and fairy-tale-stories. If you are truly blessed, then those play a big part, yes. But, they're not what life and love are made of.

Life and love are comprised of the everyday moments... folding his t-shirts just the way he likes them, letting the other vent about a rough day (even if yours was tough, too), giving up the remote control because he wants to watch football, changing the poopy diaper -- even when it's "not your turn" -- just to give the other a break. :o)

Boring, humdrum, run-of-the-mill, everyday things that don't make it into the movies or story books.

That is life.
That is love.

I dream of the day (should the Lord tarry), that we will be celebrating our 75th anniversary together. Hmmm... Memorial Day marks our third anniversary, so we only have 72 to go before we catch up to this sweet couple. :o)
4June2005
{Married 1 week}

Graphic: AllPosters

8 comments:

Vicky said...

Awww, so sweet!!

And we only have 68 more years to go. ;o)

One thing that helps us remember that life (er, marriage) often throws you curveballs is the example of our parents. Both of us have parents who celebrated nearly 40 years of marriage together (Paul lost his mom over a year ago to cancer...). We've seen them weather some pretty rough storms, but they always stuck it out. We knew they loved each other and that they would get through it. I don't think we, as kids, ever thought our parents would get divorced. That word just wasn't in their vocabulary - and still isn't. Paul and I have vowed to practice that habit as well.

Even in our 7 years of marriage, it's been a little bumpy, but I couldn't imagine my life without him nor do I want to. We are in it for the long haul. :o) Nice to meet someone who shares the same sentiments!!

Grace said...

Hi Arlene, I really appreciated this post. By the way...Cute picture too:)

Daughter of the King said...

I will be married 37 years in the fall and you know what, we are still sweethearts..our love has grown through the ups and downs of life. We have protected our marriage in many ways. We respect each other and serve each other and both LOVE THE LORD.
Great post.
Deby

Cherish the Home said...

This was such a sweet post! I've spent nearly half of my life married to my wonderful husband and I'm so thankful for him. (o:

Deborah said...

Very sweet post!
We're way ahead of you! My husband and I will celebrate 28 years this July, and as he says...it just gets sweeter and sweeter, so think of what you have to look forward to!
Oh, and my parents will celebrate 60 years in august!

Happymama said...

Sweet Post...I hope you had a WONDERFUL Mother's Day!

~Kristi

CONNIE'S THOUGHTS FROM THE HEART said...

I loved your post. If you keep on like this you will make it to 75th. I love the quote. It is a poem that my husband gave me many years ago. We celebrated our 46th this past March 18. I love him more today that I thought possible when we married. God has blessed us with five children, 20 Grandchildren,5 GreatGrandchildren and still counting. We have been so blessed. God bless you and your family. It has been a blessing coming to visit you. connie from Texas

Sellers Family said...

Your picture is priceless.
Marriage is a wonderful thing. 20 years and 5 children later, I still love being with my husband all the time.
Sandy