6/13/08

Chocoholics Rejoice

I have been searching for a homemade brownie recipe for quite some time now. I was getting frustrated, because everything that's homemade is supposed to be better, right?!?

And yet, I couldn't find a from-scratch recipe that would give me what I wanted. And by that I mean, I wanted a brownie with a flaky top, chewy edges, and was moist, fudge-y, and lick-the-batter-bowl-clean-good!

I was almost to the point of giving up and sticking with the boxed mixes. *sigh*

But, I decided to try one. last. time.
And it worked!
I found it!
The PERFECT brownie recipe!!!
And I'm going to share it with you.
Am I nice, or what? ;o)


Extreme Chocolate Fudge Brownies
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs. water
1 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 325* Grease an 8x8 dish.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring butter, sugar, and water to a boil; stir often until sugar is dissolved (about 3 minutes).
Remove pan from heat. Mix in chocolate chips. Stir until melted.
Beat in vanilla. Carefully whisk in eggs.
Add dry ingredients and stir 'til just moistened.
*add 1 cup chocolate chips here, if desired*
Spread batter into dish. Bake 35-40 minutes.
Don't overbake these babies!
Start checking 5 minutes before earliest bake time.
Sides should just be pulling away from edges of the pan and the center should be set.
These definitely taste better if allowed to cool completely.
But, seriously, who has that kind of willpower?! ;o) Enjoy!

Found on Recipezaar website.
View more recipes by Kittencal

20 comments:

Jendi said...

Ooo! Those look really good.
You are so nice to share. :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm, gonna try these!!

Tori said...

Oh now I'm so sad! I'm doing South Beach Diet and I can't have any sugar, but I am going to keep this one for the next special occasion.
Thanks Arlene!!

Mrs. C said...

I'm leading the chocoholics group thank-you-very-much. I'll have to bookmark this recipe and make a batch after the move; all my baking supplies are packed! :)

Grace said...

Those look sooo delicious! I haven't been able to find a recipe for brownies that I like either. I am definitely going to try your recipe... maybe even tonight!

Happymama said...

Ohhhh, Hubby will be thrilled!

~Kristi

Deborah said...

I love brownies! My mom used to let me make them when I was a young girl. I haven't made them from scratch for many years. This recipe is very tempting!

Grace said...

I just wanted to let you know that I tried your recipe a couple of days ago and it turned out great! Thanks so much Arlene!

Vicky said...

Oh my, this pregnant mama thanks you a million times!

I, too, have tried to find a good brownie recipe. Besides the Baker's One Bowl recipe (sooo good!), I haven't had any luck. But I think the chocolate is a tad expensive and I kept looking - so I'm cheap, too, what can I say? :) But brownie mixes are only like, $1 and so good, so why can't a recipe be that way?

I just HAPPEN to have all these ingredients in my pantry so I MIGHT whip up a batch of these tonight - but it's almost 9 p.m. and I don't need to lick the bowl or try one hot out of the oven. Soooo, rats, I should wait until tomorrow. :)
But thanks for sharing!!!! I can't wait to try them!

Vicky said...

Oh my stars and garters, these brownies are HEAVENLY! :o)

I just cut into them after they came out of the oven, I couldn't even wait! LOL! Perfect, perfect, perfect..... Mmmmmm! I wish my husband were here because he could take them away from me before I go into a chocolate coma. ;o)

Thanks, Arlene!!!

Terri said...

Oh, my goodness!!! I need chocolate chips and I need them now!!!

Nicole said...

These sound so good! I think I'll try them today. :)

Hi I'm Starr. said...

OH MY SOUL! Terri led me astray when she told me to come look here! LOL
I DO have chocolate chips and I WILL be making these!! PERFECT timing for my chocolate cravings too! *hehe*
Thanks for sharing your AWESOME looking recipe w/ us!

Nicole said...

I made these yesterday and they were SOOOOO good! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!!

Roanne said...

These look so amazing! I'm actually going to the commissary to buy groceries, so I'm for sure picking up whatever ingredients I dont have, so I can whip these babies up.

Diamond to Be said...

Thank you, I love you already, you are a woman after my own heart. I came over here via clicking on KJV links. :o) KJV AND chocolate?!? I'm in heaven. Almost. I'll be trying these as soon as the oven ban is over. (We're in the desert. That is DESERT, not dessert, lol. Oh I do wish I were in the dessert...)
Sally

Mrs. U said...

YYYUUUMMMMM!!!!!!!

Did you use just 1 cup of chocolate chips or 2 cups???

His,
Mrs. U (who NEEDS to make these SOON!!!!)

Arlene said...

Mrs. U, I used the cup of chips in the batter, and then added the extra cup just before pouring into the baking dish -- that's what any chocoholic would do, isn't it?! :P I hope you enjoy them as much as the other ladies have :o)

Mrs. U said...

Hi Arlene!!
Just made these last night and they are TO DIE FOR!!! I HAD to blog about them today!! YUM! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

His,
Mrs. U

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I'm really looking forward to trying these, maybe even this weekend.

I've also had a hard time finding brownies as chewy as those that come from a mix!