8/27/08

I was flipping through the channels the other day, and the movie "Not Without my Daughter" was on. Such a heart-wrenching story...

Even now, after having watched the movie several times, I find myself practically mesmerized when I see it on-screen. I still gasp and flinch every time I see the husband hit his wife. I just don't understand how anyone can hear or read of Betty Mahmoody's story, and think that Islam is a "peaceful" religion.

How sad to hear others speak of Christianity as being degrading to women. It is even worse when they state that God is a chauvinist. As if Allah, Mohammed, or whomever else treat women fairly and properly!

It is amazing to me how blind people are when they really want to be; only seeing what they want to see. Just like the Scribes and Pharisees: they knew the truth, yet refused to believe that Jesus is the Messiah -- even after hearing His words and seeing His miracles!

And yet, don't we all struggle with the same thing? We know He is alive; we know He is at work today, but do we live that way?

We get into our routines: church every Sunday and Wednesday, working our ministries, filling our time... but where is our heart during these times of worship and servitude? Are we just going through the motions? Like the religious leaders of Bible days, are we simply doing lip-service? Are we only there so we can "check off the blocks"?

I could go on, but it's late and I'm tired. Besides, I should probably stop here before I start preaching a sermon... and really, I don't believe women are to be preachers... but that's another post for another day, perhaps. ;o)

3 comments:

Mrs. C said...

Very well said, Arlene. May we remember what Christ did for us and tell others the Good News!

Sherry said...

Awesome blog, Arlene! It is easy to get stuck in the daily routine and not reach out to others. Thank you for sharing.

Kristi said...

We recently read an article of a young Islam woman that told her father she had converted to Christianity. He cut out her tongue and burned her to death. It is very sad.

~Kristi