9/9/08

Don't get it

A blogging friend recently posted about reproductive "rights"... an inflammatory subject, of course. Highly debated. One, hot topic.

(I'm not going to link to it because I'm sure she's tired of debating by now.)

My problem is not the dissenters, really. I completely understand that not everyone is pro-life. I realize that there are those who don't take everything in the Bible at face-value. I get that much of the nation is non-believing (or non-practicing).

What I don't get is the rudeness in the comments. It's her blog. She's going to post about what she believes. How she feels.

But why the need to make disparaging, personal attacks?

Here is part of the comment I left:

As for those who keep mentioning the cases of rape or incest being cause to allow abortion to remain legal, might I point out that those cases comprise a very small percentage of abortions performed?

In the only major study of pregnant rape victims ever done, it was found that 75 to 85 percent chose against abortion.

Kathleen DeZeeuw said, “I, having lived through rape, and also having raised a child ‘conceived in rape,’ feel personally assaulted and insulted every time I hear that abortion should be legal because of rape and incest. I feel that we’re being used by pro-abortionists to further the abortion issue, even though we’ve not been asked to tell our side.”

The Guttamacher Institute conducted studies stating that “fourteen thousand abortions per year are due to rape or incest, which amounts to 1 percent of all abortions.” Still yet other studies show that pregnancies due to rape are much rarer, as few as one in a thousand cases.

I agree that it is not our place to condemn others; that is God’s job. We must offer grace and acceptance to those hurting women who are suffering from the aftereffects of abortions. (but that does not mean we condone or pardon sins) We all need Jesus’ forgiveness.
Every. Single. One. Of. Us.

I’ll end with a quotation from Randy Alcorn:
“There’s a parallel between the violence of rape and abortion. Both are done by a more powerful person at the expense of the less powerful.

Abortion doesn’t bring healing to a rape victim. Imposing capital punishment on the innocent child of a sex offender does nothing bad to the rapist and nothing good to the woman.

Creating a second victim never undoes the damage to the first.”

Personally, I feel that I was very rational in my comment. Completely calm and reasonable. I don't believe that anything I said could be perceived as angry or condemning. Maybe I'm wrong.

The response?

So because you think we all need Jesus you get to make our decisions? Don’t remember that in the Bible. Religious people are the most judgmental people in the whole world despite what God commands ironically.

Did I mention the commenter claimed to be a Christian and is adamantly "pro-choice"? Does anyone else see the inconsistencies?

She had no reply to any of the studies or percentages referenced, and zeroed in on the one thing on which we really should have agreed, but apparently... sadly... do not.

I just don't get it. But that's okay. I don't have to.

My purpose in life is not debate.

We all really do need Christ's forgiveness.

That is a fundamental of the CHRISTian faith.

And that - the Gospel, a Saviour to the lost and dying world - is what needs to be spread around the world. Surely, as Christians, we can all agree on that.

10 comments:

Laura said...

Great post, Laney!

Some people..

Sherry said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, Arlene.

Hugs!

The Nelson's said...

I always get real mad when there are debates like that. I can't seem to say what I want and I get frustrated. haha.

Oh here is my new blogger, I still have the photography one. But this new one is for Nick and I and updates and all.

http://ntn519.blogspot.com/

I wish I knew all the perks to it like you do!

New Mom said...

Great points. Looks like the person who comment to your points was grasping at straws for an argument.

Samantha said...

Your comment is excellent and very well stated. Sometimes we just debate for the sake of debating. It really doesn't make much sense.

On another note, I tried your chicken-broccoli braid recipe and it was delicious! I'm making it again tonight. Thanks for sharing it :)

Arlene said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Ladies. :o)

Sam, that's great you guys loved the braid -- it's a pampered chef recipe... have I mentioned how much I love them?! :o) I'm so glad you've found a new favorite!

Grace said...

Arlene, That was a great comment! It was very well researched and compassionate. It's hard to understand some peoples logic...

Well anyway, I just stopped over to say "hello" I still need to catch up on all your posts that I've missed in the past month.

-Grace

Tori said...

I try not to debate online, it doesn't seem to work.

People are so blinded by their own pride and selfishness that they can't see what is right.

I think you gave a very intelligent comment and not at all argumentative.

Just think that is exactly what Obama is for, scary huh?

Kristi said...

Arlene, great post! Every once in a while I'll do a post and right before I publish it I'll think to myself that I'll hear from an "anonymous" commenter. Usually, I'm right. And I don't try to debate them either. I respectfully comment back to them, but there's really no point in a debate. People like the one you quoted have an agenda and it is almost always self-serving. It's not about what GOD says...it's about how THEY feel.
Very sad.

~Kristi

That Good Part said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog as I just joined the KJV Blogroll.

Wow...I did not know the percentage rate of rapes, that is a very interesting fact and very well said!