10/13/08

Pancake Mix

A while back, Tori posted about some money-saving mixes, so I thought I'd share another one that's been working really well for our family.

We used to buy Aunt Jemima's whole wheat pancake mix, but I decided I could probably make one from scratch for a lot cheaper. I was right! :o)

Whole-wheat pancake mix:

5 cups all-purpose flour
5 cups whole wheat flour
5 Tbs. sugar
10 tsp. baking powder* (halve the amount if using aluminum-free)
2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Store as you would any other dry goods.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

To make a batch of pancakes:
1 cup pancake mix
1 cup buttermilk**
1 egg
2 Tbs. oil (I use extra-virgin olive oil)

Whisk all ingredients until just combined. Feel free to add in extras like sliced/mashed fruit, cinnamon, chocolate chips, etc.
Let batter rest for a few minutes and then cook on pre-heated pan/griddle.

*I use Rumford's aluminum free baking powder
**I use 1 Tbs. vinegar and add just enough milk to make up 1 cup of liquid. Stir and let it sit at least one minute before using.
(If using aluminum free baking powder, it might be a "puffier" consistency, so don't be scared if it doesn't look normal to you! :o) I promise it will turn out fine!)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Most times, I mix up a batch or two of this and just cook all of the batter in one session. Then I let them cool, place in a large ziploc bag, add a piece of wax/parchment paper in between each layer, and store in the freezer. Pop one in the toaster or toaster oven for a quick and easy breakfast -- I use them all the time on Sunday mornings!

And, since I add in some fruit to ours, it doesn't need a bunch of sugary syrup. Plus, I don't have to worry or wonder about what's in them; I know what's in them, because I made them!

For more great tips, visit Tammy's Recipes
Image credit: Allposters.com

6 comments:

Lynn said...

This is a great idea. I am trying to stay away from premade, store bought items. So, this is a great way to do that. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Perfect! I've been thinking I need to make some batter because Josiah has reacted to every one that I've tried off the shelf (even the ones that don't say they are made in the same machine that uses peanuts, blah,blah,blah). I'll give this a try!

amysfinerthings said...

Your pancake mix sounds a lot like mine. I add baking soda and use just 1/2 of the sugar... probably because I add blueberries when making them. Oh, and I do the same vinegar/milk trick. ;-)

Love your breastfeeding blinkies. A friend made me a t-shirt (to wear around the house!!!) that says "Breastfeeding does a body good. Just look at mine." LOL

Thanks for visiting my blog today.

mub said...

This is a great tip! I'm going to give it a try =)

Mary Ann said...

I'm going to have to try this recipe. Sounds really good!
Thanks for sharing!

Sherry said...

I don't even know the last time I bought bisquick. Thanks for sharing the pancake recipe! YUM! We have pancakes almost once a week at least. :D