11/5/08

Closer than ever

I voted for John McCain and Sarah Palin yesterday.

Not necessarily because I thought they would be great.
Not even because I agreed with them in every aspect.

But because I thought they were the best option for taking steps to preserve the life of millions of unborn children over the next four years.

Because I cannot, in good conscience, vote for a leader who is unwilling to protect our smallest citizens.

Because I believe that every person should have a chance to live and love, regardless of how unfortunate their circumstances of coming into existence may have been or how terrible their "quality of life" might be.

Because I don't think that a baby is a punishment.

I knew there was a chance that they wouldn't get in, but we were all praying for God's mercy during this election. I'm afraid now that God is removing His hand of blessing from our country because we voted... "to elect a man who is pro-death, pro-homosexual, and who has Marxist tendencies." To be honest, that scares me.

I'm worried for what will happen to our nation, but I'm not angry that Obama will be our next president.

Disappointed? Certainly.
In our people's choices.
In our country's carelessness.

But, just because the election's over doesn't mean we should stop praying! Pray now, for the Lord to turn our leaders' hearts to what's right. Pray now, for His Hand to be upon them and on our nation.

Yes, despite how I sometimes feel, God is still on the throne.
He is in complete control. And His coming is looming closer than ever.

Are you ready?
Take the test and find out!

image credit: Flickr

6 comments:

Samantha said...

I voted for McCain/Palin also even though our state is inevitably blue. We hoped it would go the other way too. For me it was never a race issue, it was about whose ideals lined up the closest with my own.

I learned awhile back that Obama is not just pro-choice. As if that's not bad enough, he actually supports killing babies who are born alive during botched abortion procedures. I wonder how many people who voted for him actually knew this?

I know there is an alluring picture being painted today of a country making history, but I see something different. I believe the Lord is allowing this because of how far we've gone from Him as a nation. Like you said though, I can rest knowing He is in control and that no matter who's president His promise remains the same.

Grace said...

I totally agree with you...it is scary to think about Obama being our next president! We definitely need to praying and trusting the Lord.

Tori said...

Amen, Amen and Amen Arlene!!
Great post!

Mary Ann said...

I wrote a similar post today. It's been helpful to put my thoughts into words.

That we elected a man with such a liberal perspective speaks of the condition of our country.

As well as encouraging Scriptures that I shared in my blog post for us to cling to and believe in, I keep thinking of the song "Because He Lives" by Bill and Gloria Gaither. "Because He lives, I can face tomorrow, Because He lives, all fear is gone...Because I know Who holds the future, my life is worth the living just because He lives."

Mrs. C said...

Well said, Arlene! :)

Adele said...

Amen and amen. I told my g-ma my deciding factor is and always will be the abortion issue. I hope I never see the day when neither candidate is pro-life. Unfortunately the result is a clear representation of the way America is going. We need to pray the verse Prov. 21:1 like never before.