11/18/08

Monday Musings

For tonight's dinner, we decided to fire up the grill one last time before winter arrives in full force. While the guys grilled up some burgers, I worked on a batch of oven roasted potatoes. (Okay, so it wasn't a fully balanced meal. It was a spur of the moment sort of thing, so I didn't have much to work with, LOL!)

My Airman was going to take care of things by himself, but our Little Man really wanted to "ep cook" (help cook). And so, he was bundled up tightly and out to the patio he went. He was excited to see the "moke" (smoke) while he and Daddy flipped the burgers.
I know he won't ever remember this moment in his life, but I was reminded again of how it doesn't take much to make this little man happy. He is perfectly content to follow either of us around and help with whatever it is that we're doing. He brings us so much joy, and sometimes, I can hardly remember what things were like before he came along. Hasn't he always been around? :o)

No, being a parent isn't all fun and games all the time. But, there are so many memories to be made, so many happy times to be had... why focus on the negative aspects? The Lord has blessed us richly, and we are grateful for the opportunity He has given us to help raise part of the next generation for Him.

I'm learning that if we work hard to train and discipline him here and now (while he's so very young and moldable), it will make life that much easier down the road. Which, in turn, would mean more happy memories together as a family.

What could possibly be better than that?

P.S. Please ignore my husband's hat. It's military issue winter wear from our previous base. For some reason, he loves it. I do not. But I love my honey, so it's stayed. The patio is pretty much the only acceptable territory for such accessories. *ahem* Thank you.

9 comments:

Laura said...

Aww, what a cute picture!

How cold is it there now?? You guys are all bundled up!

Did you know it's starting to snow in Misawa already??

Mrs. C said...

Brrr! I'm cold just looking at those hats! :O)

Adele said...

Love the hat, Nathan! Good way to give Milwaukeeans a good name, hey?
At least you're warm - very practical of you. Must say though, Caleb looks cuter! :)

Tori said...

Aww, that's so sweet and I think your husband's hat is cute, at least you won't loose him in a crowd! And that baby, he's a real looker, what a smile!

You're so right about parenting, all in all, it's pretty great!

Melissa said...

LOL about the hat. :) :) My husband has a similar one that he has to wear in the winter for work (he's a cop). But I don't think he really likes it. At least I'd never catch him wearing it at home. :) Cute pic!

Sherry said...

Brrr! Glad Caleb can go out and "ep cook" with Daddy! :D What a blessing! I've been trying to get my 2 in the kitchen more with me and cooking different things.

Trying to Stay Calm! said...

What a great blog you have here :)

fourhisglory said...

My husband would love a hat like that.

Anonymous said...

That's a good look for you, Nathan! ;) Caleb's cute looks make up for it. *smile*

Rebecca