12/9/08

Keeping Busy

That's what we're doing this time of year.

This past weekend I've been busy in the kitchen making:
  • A big batch of chicken broth for the freezer
  • Italian Turkey Sausage soup (my honey is sick :o( poor baby) I added finely diced carrots and celery, freshly minced garlic instead of powder, and a little extra broth. Yum!
  • A loaf of whole wheat bread
  • Apple Crisp Thanks for letting me borrow your oven, Sarah!

I've also been busy in the living room:
  • Packing away fall items
  • Pulling out Christmas decorations
  • Addressing envelopes
  • Affixing stamps
  • Signing cards
  • Wrapping presents
  • Sealing packages for mailing
  • Ordering last minute items online
  • A number of other things
Of course, there are the regular household chores to be done, as well. Not to mention the fact that we're heading out this Thursday for a last minute trip to visit some friends in Kansas!

As I said... keeping busy.

After years of running around in a flurry of activities because I felt obligated to attend everything, I think I'm ready to join forces with Alli and Stephanie and keep Christmas simple and relaxed.

That's what I've been trying to do lately, at least.

I mean, yes, there will always be some craziness this time of year {can it really be avoided completely?} , but all too often, I think we make everything busier and more complicated than it should be.

If you think about it, the whole Reason for the Season isn't complicated -- it's Christ, God-in-the-flesh, born as a little babe in the manger, made to walk among man, come to save His people from their sins. Simply Jesus. A Saviour. The ultimate gift. A real reason to celebrate.

P.S. Yes, that's our tabletop tree. My favorite part is the ornament my parents gave us after we were married. It's the tree topper, and it says it all, don't you think?

3 comments:

Mrs. C said...

I'm sure a bowl of soup and some homemade apple crisp will help your hubby feel better. :) Enjoy your week! :)

Sherry said...

That soup is delish!! :D

Can't wait for y'all to be here! It will be like old times!! :D

Hugs!!

Under Southern Skies said...

You are making me SO hungry! :) The apple crisp sounds really good, as does the soup!