1/4/09

Flowers

My whole life, I've been taught that God answers prayers. Hears our cries. Knows our hearts. My whole life, I've believed that, but this past week, I've learned to believe it with all of my heart.

After we lost the baby, it was really rough for a few days. I cried myself to sleep, my airman holding me tight, three nights in a row. (The days were a lot easier to get through because I could keep busy and push things to the back of my mind.)

I wasn't angry with God for what happened, but my heart was just hurting. Despite what some may have us believe, life begins at conception. It was a baby. We lost someone.

We have so many great friends, an understanding family, and a wonderful church family (from past churches and our current church). Everyone has been so encouraging to us during this time. We haven't felt "alone" while dealing with this; there has always been someone -- or Someone -- close by.

Still, I wanted something more...

I wanted flowers.

I know it seems such a silly request -- especially to some who may not consider this to be a great loss of a family member -- but, in my heart, I told the Lord I needed flowers to help with the hurt. I never spoke the words aloud to anyone. Not to my husband or anyone else. I just assumed I would have to grieve without them.

And then, a friend approached me today with the most beautiful pink bouquet. Oh, how I cried. They were happy tears, though, for I knew the Lord had heard my prayers -- just as He promised He would.

14 comments:

Laura said...

Wow, you know what? I was thinking about you today and thought I wish I could bring you flowers. I even thought about getting online and figuring how to order them and somehow get them to you. I am glad you have good friends there who can do things like that for you. I miss you so much! ((HUGS)) Love you, Laney.

Grace said...

How special! I love how God answers prayer! You have been in my prayers. Even though we have never met I still think of you as a friend. If there is ever anything I can do, let me know.

Grace

Karen said...

What a blessing and a wonderful reminder that the Lord knows the tiniest desires of our heart. He knows just what we need and when we need it! I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mrs. C said...

God shows Himself to us in so many ways. I'm glad you got a hug from Him today. :)

Adele said...

Thank you for sharing this neat answer to prayer. It is even more special when no one else knows our inner prayer and the Lord answers it so specifically. May the Lord continue to uphold you and Nathan both.

Jenny said...

I am so glad she did that for you! Im glad the LORD brightened your day! LOVE YA

Nikki said...

How sweet! The Lord is so good to give us even the "little" things. The flowers helped me through both of mine though. Praying for you!

Samantha said...

I'm so glad that you haven't felt alone in all this. God surely answers our prayers.

Kristi said...

That made me cry. God was showing you that He heard your cries and knew your hurt. Isn't He wonderful?

~Kristi

Michele said...

Oh I just *love* it when God does things like that for us.

Sherry said...

Praise God for how He answered your prayer. Praying for you!

Hugs!

Abounding Treasures said...

It's wonderful when we see the Lord's hand in the tiniest details of our experience and rejoice that He cares so very much!!

Blessings to you and your husband at this sad time.

Deborah said...

I'm so sorry I've been missing your posts, and just read this now. What a wonderful answer to prayer.
You're right... some may not understand, but this is a real loss with real grief.

Samantha said...

Arlene,
I just wrote you a big long response to your comment over at my blog. I probably should have just e-mailed it since it's long enough. Anyways, I just thought I'd let you know.