2/12/09

Love Letters

Recently, my friend Brittney wrote a few points on the bright side of separation, and I have to say, she's got it exactly right! Of course, she is a fellow military wife, so she knows what she's talking about! :o) However, I do think she missed one other point: love letters.

In case you may not have guessed by now, I am the writer in our family. My husband always has good intentions of writing letters/cards and sending them out, but... well... let's just say he's told me numerous times how thankful he is that he married me so that the items are mailed in a timely manner. :P

But I digress.

As I was saying: if there is anything good about a four month separation, it's the letters. Any time my honey and I have been separated, he is faithful to write me. I can't even say how much those cards and letters mean to me during such a difficult time. We've gone through this deployment thing once before and those letters are a big part of what kept me going. There's something about a hand-written letter that makes the romantic in him come out just a little bit more.

Here's a snippet:
I wish that an email or phone call could fill the void...
There's something about having you with me
that makes everything just that much better...

*sigh* I love my airman...

As much as I already love checking the mail, I run down to the mailbox a little quicker these days!
Image Credit: iStockphoto

9 comments:

Sherry said...

That is so sweet! Letters are definitely a great way to keep in touch and to be romantic during separation. :D

JenT said...

That is so sweet.

Samantha said...

How beautiful. You two seem like such a great pair.

I keep thinking....I don't know how you do it Arlene. Four months apart, especially with a little one has to be really difficult. Hopefully you have lots of support from family and/or friends who live nearby. I'll be praying for you my friend.

Speaking of that little one...doesn't he have a birthday coming up?

Sherri said...

Just think how precious those letters and cards will be to you someday! What a treasure!

Grace said...

How sweet:)...My husband isn't much of a writer either, but when he was in Alaska for a month(on a missions trip)back when we were just engaged he wrote me almost everyday:)

Betty Beguiles said...

I am such a sucker for love letters.

Just thinking of you today. I can't imagine how difficult the separation must be for you and your dear, brave husband. Thank you so much for your sacrifice. God love you!

Under Southern Skies said...

Aww! I'm sure you treasure every letter!

Thank you for the comments that you are leaving on my blog, Arlene, I really appreciate them!

Brittney said...

Ahhh, good point on the love letters :). In that particular 3-week deployment, letters of any sort were not an option which is how I happened to not even think of that point ;).

"In case you may not have guessed by now, I am the writer in our family. My husband always has good intentions of writing letters/cards and sending them out, but... well... let's just say he's told me numerous times how thankful he is that he married me so that the items are mailed in a timely manner. :P"

Haha, that totally describes Andy and I. (he feels a form letter is the most efficient way to send thank-you's after a big event such as a birthday or graduation or wedding..... LOL) But the notes he has written me I treasure and read over and over and over again. Even if if they're just short and sweet, each thing he has written to me is the most endearing piece of literature I have ever read.

*sigh* I love my soldier... :)

Kawaii Boutique said...

Awww!! Sweetness.