6/25/09

Wedding Vows

I was going through some folders in my inbox and found a copy of our wedding vows. Interestingly enough, I found these vows (forgive me, I can't remember WHERE!) in November of 2004... I had absolutely no idea I would be needing them 6 months later! Crazy how God works, isn't it? :o)
Nathan, do you covenant before God to be first and foremost the spiritual leader of your home, leading in prayer, Bible study, seeking God's kingdom and righteousness throughout your life together? I do.

Do you covenant before God to study your wife in order to know her disposition so that you will provide for her emotional, physical, mental, and most importantly her spiritual needs? I do.

To never let the sun go down on your anger? I do.

To be kind, tenderhearted and forgiving? I do.

And to obey God's specific command to love your wife? I do.

Then repeat after me:

I, Nathan...
do solemnly covenant before God...
and these witnesses...
to love, cherish and protect...
and provide for Arlene...
through sickness and health...
for better or worse...
for richer or poorer, as my lawful wedded wife...
for as long as we both shall live...
so help me God.


Now the ring. As a symbol of your authority, strength, protection and love, present the ring to your bride and repeat after me:

As a continual reminder to me...
of the covenant I have made before our heavenly Father...
I present this ring to you, and so thee wed.


Arlene, do you covenant before God to be the heart of your home, to be discreet, chaste, and a keeper at home? I do.

To be good, obedient to your husband, that the Word of God be not blasphemed? I do.

To have your main goal to be your husband's helper? I do.

To recognize his God-given responsibility and authority as the spiritual leader of your home? I do.

To meet his spiritual, physical, mental and emotional needs? I do.

To never let the sun go down on your anger? I do.

To be kind, tenderhearted and forgiving? I do.

And to obey God's specific command to reverence your husband? I do.

Then repeat after me:


I, Arlene...
Do solemnly covenant before God...
and these witnesses...
to love, honor and obey Nathan...
through sickness and health...
for better or worse...
for richer or poorer...
as my lawful wedded husband...
for as long as we both shall live...
so help me God.


Now the ring. As a symbol of your submission to his authority, strength and protection, and your unselfish love to him, present the ring to your groom and repeat after me:

As a continual reminder to me...
of the covenant I have made before our heavenly Father...
I present this ring to you, and so thee wed.


As a couple in agreement, now repeat after me:
[Hosea 2:19]
And I have betrothed thee unto me forever;...
Yea, I have betrothed thee unto me in righteousness...
and in judgment...
and in lovingkindness...
and in mercies...
I have even betrothed thee unto me...
in faithfulness...
and we shall know the Lord.


[PRAYER]

By virtue of the authority committed unto me, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride.
P.S. Check out the sand art my honey brought home for me (sorry for the shadowy picture). It's the same verse that's inscribed in his wedding band. *sigh* I love my airman!

17 comments:

The Nelson's said...

Those are so sweet. And I love the wooden figurine Bride and Groom you have! SO Cute!

JenT said...

Love this post.

Becca said...

What beautiful vows! Thank you for sharing your testimony! May the Lord bless you both as you daily keep them!

~Becca

Sarah said...

So sweet!! :-) So, Nathan's name is Jonathan? Or did you say your vows to someone else?? LOL I never knew his name was Jonathan -- I will have to start calling him that now!! :-)

Sherry said...

Love the vows! Isn't God good! The sand art is beauiful!

Arlene said...

Oops, Sarah! I copied and pasted the original vows from my email and went back to change out the original names with our names... guess I missed one, LOL!

Sarah said...

That is so funny!!! Jason thought that was hilarious and we decided we have to call Nathan "Jonathan" just as a joke from now on!!! :-) LOL

Jendi said...

Those are beautiful vows.

How did he get the sand art to you without dumping it?!

Arlene said...

Tiffany, I bought the bride and groom kokeshi dolls when we were in Japan and I just love them! :o)

Arlene said...

Jendi, thank you; I really did just fall in love with the vows when I found them, and I was especially glad that Nathan was excited to use them, too :o)

Nathan watched the "sand art guy" as he filled the vase, and he said that as the man finished the art, the guy took some glue and mixed it in with some sand and then patted that down into the top. If you run your fingers across the opening, it is stiff and rough almost like cement so the art stays intact. :o)

liz said...

I love your vows! What a sweet post.

Under Southern Skies said...

Such beautiful vows! And the sand art is gorgeous!!

Under Southern Skies said...

I wanted also to add that I absolutely love your wedding dress. It looks so modest and very pretty!

HOPE said...

PRECIOUS...and my son's name is also NATHAN...GOOD GODLY NAME!!

I also have a little vase just like this...no verse though.

A sweet post that is a wonderful reminder of the Sacred Vows of MARRIAGE between a MAN and WOMAN.

Blessings..
HOPE~

HOPE said...

Oh...I LOVE the wooden Bride and Groom!!! Must come from overseas?

HOPE~

Laura said...

hehehe, Jonathan! LOL, too funny!

Vicky said...

Neat, Arlene!

I've been thinking about our vows a lot lately and wanted to get them printed up, framed and hung in our bedroom as a daily reminder of what love truly means. ;)

Kind of off topic, but how did you happen to be in Japan to meet your airman? Were you raised there? :)