7/27/09

Civilian for a Day

I learned something new last week. Apparently, when preparing to reenlist, the military discharges the member for an entire day (the day before the reenlistment ceremony). How strange it was to think we weren't technically a military family for one whole day!

{As a side note, it was even stranger for me to think that it has been almost 6 years since I first laid eyes on the man that is now my husband. Okay, it's more like 5 1/2 right now, but still... has it been that long already?}

This reenlistment was special all around for so many reasons.
First, well, of course because it was my husband who was reenlisting, this was a pretty special occasion in our life together. We were also able to hold the ceremony at our church here, which just reemphasized the fact that we are striving to ensure that the Lord is included in every aspect of our family's life.
Second, the man reenlisting him, Will, is a friend of the family, and one of our pastor's son-in-laws. We actually knew him when he was "just" an enlisted member, so to see him as a graduate of OTS -- an actual officer -- was really neat. It was very special to see our church's prayers for his studies and training come to fruition. And how wonderful for both of them to have a friend as their first enlistee/enlisting officer! I don't know many (if any) military members who can say the same thing.
Third, almost all of my husband's side of the family was able to come for a visit, and since they were not able to see him graduate from basic training or fly over for our wedding (in Japan), it was really nice to have his family take part in this special occasion.
We have had a busy few weeks preparing for the family coming to visit, as well as all the last minute details and paperwork of the actual reenlistment ceremony. Also, though we were trying to keep things simple, I still wanted to make it special for my airman, so I surprised him with a cake-and-punch reception. I baked a cake, and Sarah decorated it for us. (Ultimately, he spoiled my surprise, though... oh, well.)
It was definitely a memorable experience, and I'm glad we were able to share it with friends and family. Now that my honey is reenlisted, there is a good possibility we will receive orders within the next year. Nothing official yet, of course, but I'll be sure to keep you posted. :o) We're eager to see where the Lord will take us next.

Here's to the next 4 years of military life...

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I was happy to be able to have part in Nathan's reenlistment to the Air Force by helping decorate the cake. And how great that you guys were able to have it at the church and with Will doing the reenlistment. That was awesome!!

Mrs. C said...

Congratulations on your hubbby's reenlistment! The picture of you holding your little man proves that he is not so little any more. :)

Laura said...

Did he reenlist for 4 or 6? You guys got some cute family photos! Oh, what bases do you have on your dream sheet now?

Betty Beguiles said...

I'm so happy that you are all back together. You have such a beauitful family. :)

So sorry about the Facebook thing! I signed up and then promptly forgot all about it...which might be for the best. I just can't keep up with all these social networking sites! LOL!

Dear Abbi said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! I, too, am IFB, KJV and have a hard time finding good God-honoring music! Although our bookstore at church has a good supply. Congrats to your husband on his reenlistment! The cake looks great!

Becca said...

Congratulations! How special to have such obvious ties to your local church as part of the reenlistment ceremony! I believe that the Lord will really honor that.

Thanks for providing such a sweet testimony !

~Becca

Sherry said...

Hey, I didn't know that about the reenlistment being civilian for a day. Weird! Congratulations to Nathan! Looks like a great day with family and friends! :D