8/31/09

Cowboy Cookies, revisited

Awhile back, I posted about My Airman's favorite cookies. It seems that since we've moved Stateside, they have been different -- the texture, the taste, just everything about them... I wonder if it's the climate change or something along those lines?

Anyway, I've been tweaking the recipe, trying to figure out what to change so they will have a better texture. I think I've finally figured it out, because they have been turning out perfectly every single time! Thought I'd share the updated recipe in case anyone wants to give them a try. :o)

Cowboy Cookies
(aka Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg, room temperature
1 1/3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/3 cups oats (I use old-fashioned)
1 cup chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugars together. Add in vanilla and egg and beat well. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, soda, powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture and blend until incorporated. Fold in oats and chocolate chips.

Drop onto baking sheet. {I use my medium cookie scoop. Make sure to space them evenly, but they shouldn't spread a lot, really, so don't worry *too much* about it.} Bake at 350* for 11-13 minutes until edges are lightly browned. (I use my pampered chef stone, baked at 375 (I think my oven runs a little cooler than most) and had to bake almost 15 minutes.)

Cool 2 minutes on stone, then remove cookies to racks to finish cooling. Eat them all! :P

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Anything made on a pampered chef stone has to be awesome! ;)

Tori said...

Okay so this is the next cookie I make. I'm sure it's yummy!

Amber said...

I have given you the Kreativ blog award! Stop by my blog and pick it up!!

Sherry said...

Yummy! We love some cowboy cookies! :D

Under Southern Skies said...

Those sound good too! That's funny that we posted practically the same thing. :)

New Mom said...

I'm excited to try these! I've been searching for a really good oatmeal-chocolate chip recipe. Are these chewy?

Dear Abbi said...

Mmm, those cookies sound great!

Arlene said...

Himilce, yes, I think these cookies are very soft and chewy. That's part of the reason I was experimenting with the recipe -- the original one turned out somewhat dry cookies, and I couldn't stand that! You might need to experiment with the butter/egg/oatmeal amounts, though; some days mine turn out better than others, and I really think it has something to do with the weather! Since your area is a lot drier than ours, that might affect how yours turn out, as well. Let me know how you guys like these! :o)

A Heart of Praise said...

These sound good, thanks for the recipe:) I just made oatmeal cookies today, they are favorites around here:).