8/1/09

Thoughts on Music pt. 2

I've received some great feedback on my recent music post. There were many who agreed and others who didn't, but I so greatly appreciate the sweet spirit each of you have maintained while replying to an often controversial subject!

I thought it would be easiest to address a few of the comments in a post rather than in the comment box.

Anonymous wrote:
I think God will convict our heart if we are not worshiping with the right spirit. My pastor is a very godly man who sings southern gospel music. He also preaches the Word w/o apology KJV also.

I believe if it ministers to your soul, then who should tell you that you are wrong for listening to it. I have witnessed many having been saved at a southern gospel concert. Isn't that what it's all about. Praise the Lord for it. =)
~*~*~*~
Thanks for your comment; although we disagree, it is always nice to know there are those who can do so without being disagreeable and/or confrontational. I very much appreciate that about my bloggy friends/readers. :o)

And yes, I do agree that preaching the Gospel to the lost is what we should be all about! :o)

I did want to say that I think the "if it ministers to your soul, then who should tell you that you are wrong" mindset could be a little dangerous to have. I've heard people use that sort of argument to justify many things that are very clearly lined out in the Bible, and I just don't know that's the best reasoning to have for doing something.

The Old Testament prophet wrote, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" (Jeremiah 17:9) Can we really trust our heart?

Satan presents himself as an angel of light, if you'll recall. (2 Corinthians 11:14) The fleshly lusts which war against the soul are not always going to be blatantly against God's Word. He knows he won't always be able to trip us up with such things, so I believe that he works hard to make things appear good -- remember the fruit in the Garden of Eden? He took God's truth and twisted it, even began appealing to Eve's "spiritual side" ("Ye shall be as gods..." Genesis 3:5).

Having said that, I believe that music itself is a medium for a message. I have read many studies (from both Christian and non-Christians) who have done studies on how music can strongly influence and affect people. Yes, the lyrics to a song are important, but if the message of the music is unholy and dishonoring to the Lord, does it matter if the lyrics are "Christian"?
~*~*~*~
Hmm... I guess I only answered one comment in this post, but it seems to be getting a bit lengthy, so I'll end for now. Perhaps I'll write more about this subject at a later date. Thanks again for always being so sweet (even despite the somewhat touchy topic!).

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

5 comments:

JenT said...

Very good post, Arlene. Did you get the music links I emailed you?

Arlene said...

Oops, I thought I had replied to that email! But, yes, I did get those links! Thanks so much for sending them; it seems to get increasingly difficult to find good music these days, so it's great when friends can share the good stuff with each other :o)

Michele said...

I agree completely Arlene. (o:

Something else I thought of is if we're going to say that CCM is wrong because the music sounds like the world then to be consistent we'd have to say that Southern Gospel is wrong because it sounds like the world. Again just to be clear, I'm not talking about what Southern Gospel used to be which was 4-part harmony, quartet style music. I'm talking about the SC that sounds like country music they play in the bar rooms.

Blessings,
~Michele

Laura said...

So, for my birthday/Christmas you gonna send me some cd's? ;)

Anonymous said...

i whole-heartedly agree.:) Another point we have 2 consider when people say "well at least people got saved and it worked in their hearts",is: is the song just playing on our emotions and the decisions we make only brought about by feelings? yes, feeling aren't bad but it should be the holy spirit first and foremost. ur post was encouraging/challenging...thanks..:)
God Bless,

Annie W.