10/27/09

The Road to a Better Birth

13 weeks 2 days in utero
Well, my first appointment with the doctor wasn't too terrible... not what we were expecting from a doctor who claimed to be pro-VBAC, though. So, at this point, we are looking into other options for a different doctor. Don't get me wrong -- the doctor was very friendly and her bedside manner was great, but her stance on VBACs seemed somewhat less-than-supportive. She basically said that she has no problem with our trying for a VBAC, but that if I do not go into labor on my own by my due date, we *have* to schedule a repeat cesarean for one or two days later.

End of story.

That's not good enough for us. Not this time. Not when we're more informed and more willing to do things the way God intended them to take place.

I totally understand and agree that there are times a c/s is necessary and good and life-saving, even! It's just that, after all of the research and studying we've been doing, we really don't think the surgery is required nearly as many times as it is used these days.

We're looking for a doctor who is absolutely supportive of a VBAC in every situation that deems it possible, and, well... we just don't think our current doctor is one who sees things that way. I'm not looking forward to going through the approval/referral process all over again, but at the same time, if the result is a better chance for a happy ending to this birth story, then I'm ready to go for it!

My Airman is completely on-board and is excited for us to make some good choices this time around. I know there are some men out there who probably couldn't care less to be informed about what cesareans do to a woman's body or how to better understand the workings of birth... but I'm so thankful the Lord has blessed me with such a supportive husband who wants only the best for my health, for our family. I love that man! :o)

Anyway, a friend has gotten me in touch with a doula/birth coach in the area, and that woman has helped me contact two different Bradley Birth instructors (with TONS of info on VBACs and doctors who are definitely pro-VBAC), as well as the local ICAN chapter in our area. Just talking with these women has made me feel so much more at peace about the decisions we're making. Tomorrow, I'm hoping to get in touch with one of the doctors the Bradley instructor mentioned so that we can get some questions answered and get started on this road to a healthier, happier birth experience.

6 comments:

The Nelson's said...

I pray that you find a better doc for your experience. I keep praying myself they I do not have to have c/s unless its an emergency, but then again, I'm praying there isn't an emergency to worry about!

Yes, its always so wonderful to have a supportive husband in all you do!

Sherry said...

Praying for you as you go through the pregnancy, labor and delivery.

Hugs!

Pilar said...

I sure hope you are able to find a great doctor that is willing to do the delivery the way you would like to go.

God can!

JenT said...

Way to go, girl! I really hope you find a good doctor. We use a midwife and have had four of our babies at home. The last one was planned at home, but the midwife didn't feel it was safe for the baby, so I had to have an emergency c-section. Then with this miscarriage I had an OB doctor we had used for two of the boys circumcisions (the two born at home). When I went for the post-op check-up, I happened to ask if he did VBACs. He said yes, that the day before he just had a girl deliver VBAC. He said they were pretty liberal there at the office. So now, if by some chance my midwife can't assist me (and I'm sure she can) I have a "back-up" OB that is more than willing to let me do a VBAC.

Oh and when I went to my check-up, he gave me a lot of prenatal vitamins to get my iron levels back up. He said "You're going to try again, right?" No mention of birth control at all! And he knows very well how many children we have. Isn't that a blessing? He's a Christian and prayed over me before my D&C (I might have told you that already). It's so nice to find someone who doesn't blast you for your beliefs. :)

Betty Beguiles said...

Many prayers coming your way! I had a home birth with my last little one and it was awesome! :)

liz said...

I pray that you will find a doctor that supports your decision. I didn't attend any of the Bradley classes, but I did read the book and it really helped me prepare for a natural delivery. Praying for a safe and healthy pregnancy and delivery.