12/31/09

Future Speller

Recently, My Airman and I have taken to spelling out certain words while within hearing shot of the little man -- words like "cookie," "candy," "juice," "presents," etc. :o) Most times, it helps. Other times, I don't know if it's a lucky guess or what, but he seems to know just what we're spelling!

Sometimes, we spell words just because it's fun to hear him try to copy what we've said (or rather, what he thinks we said).

Take the incident in the car today.

Me: Man, I'm really getting h-u-n-g-r-y.

My Airman: Me, too. I'm s-t-a-r-v-i-n-g.

Me: I want some s-o-u-p or maybe a s-a-l-a-d.

My Airman: Sounds good.

Little Man: I want some p-o-o-p!

Obviously, he had no idea what he was spelling... at least, I hope he didn't! I can only imagine what new stories this next year will hold for our family. :o) Happy New Year, everyone!

9 comments:

Liz A said...

Hahahaha! Maybe he thought he was spelling s-o-u-p?

We do the same thing, though now Josh knows how to read and spell, so it doesn't work so well anymore.

Mrs. C said...

Out of the mouths of babes...:)

Wishing your family a very blessed 2010~ :)

Tori said...

HA!!!! too funny!
Have a great 2010 Arlene!!!

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

Love it! Our little grandson talks the same way :).

Brittney said...

That is hilarious!! :)

Grace said...

That is pretty funny!:)

Oh by the way...just wondering I you found out if you are having a boy or girl yet...just curious:) My husband doesn't know yet if he wants to find out what we are having(I do)I think he'll probably decide he wants to eventually:) We'll see.

Sherry said...

LOL! He is too funny! :D

Kristi said...

Oh, my, my, my!!!! That is ridiculously funny!!!!!!

I was just talking to someone the other day about when we would do that and Hannah figuring out what we were saying because she was in kindergarten and learning to read. I told Bruce one day, "I think I'll take the kids to the p-a-r-k after school." You could see the wheels turning in her head and her little hand went up as though she might be writing in the air and then she made a fist and flung it close to her side, gleefully saying in a whisper, "YESSSS!" I asked her what I said and she told me I was taking them to the park. She said, "Your spelling doesn't work on me anymore, mommy. I'm in kindergarten!" :)

From then on it was pig latin. What's funny is they soon figured that out too. All except Harrison and it drives him NUTS when the whole family is doing it. LOL

Now, go fix that boy some....no, don't do that. Make him soup instead.

:)
~Kristi

Adele said...

Just wait until you can't spell anymore b/c he knows what you're spelling! That's the stage we're at with Gavin now.

My new approach is to say it really quickly, kind of under my breath. One problem. Jason doesn't usually get it either!