2/2/10

Backhanded Compliment?

In between Sunday School and morning service, I was standing out in the hallway talking to a few friends. We were very into our conversation and didn't really notice another friend walking by us.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a hand s-l-o-w-l-y reaching out toward my ever-growing baby bump. I looked over at my friend, and as my eyes met hers, I caught a look of extreme shock and surprise on her face. Eyes wide-open, she whispered, "You're pregnant?!"

"Well, yes... I... I'm due in April," a puzzled look on my face. I jokingly asked, "Where have you been? Haven't you seen me walking around the past couple of months?"

I thought about it later and now I can't decide if I should take her innocent comment as a compliment... as in, I'm still small enough that it wasn't noticeable... or an insult... as in, she just thinks I must eat a lot and have a very large pot belly. ;o)

Which leads me to another question: How would you have taken it? :o)

Image Credit: Amazon.com

12 comments:

Sherri said...

LOL Just take it as a compliment, then everybody stays happy. =-) I dont' know how many times people asked me "Are you SURE there's only one in there?" Believe me, it's easier to just laugh along with them, smile, and not give it another thought.

Sherry said...

Hmmm! I don't think she thought you were fat. :D You don't have the body type. LOL! :D

JenT said...

Hm...I'm not sure how I would have taken that.

Samantha said...

Hmmm. I don't know Arlene is this gal really a friend or is she more of a "fre-nemy"??...haha,only kidding :)

I've seen you in pictures, and you look very cute and pregnant...not at all like a little person with a big pot belly. You must just look really small in person for how far along you are. Either that or maybe she hadn't seen you in awhile. That's funny though, that she just now noticed:P

liz said...

LOL, I would take it as a compliment too. I'm pretty positive nobody would think you have a big old pot belly. =) I got some pretty unthoughtful comments during my last pregnancy. Sometimes people just say things without thinking. I know I do that a lot too. =)

Sarah said...

Since you just recently started to really look pregnant, I would take it as a compliment. :-) Love you, Arlene!! And I'm jealous, I wish I could have been 6 months pregnant and finally showing, instead of 9 weeks pregnant and really showing!! haha!

Lori said...

I came over from the KJV Directory and am joining in on the visiting challenge.

I would take the comment as a compliment, also.

As for your husband's deer head ~it is a really neat thing, having it showcased.

Keith and Julie Loveless said...

My belly started growing immediately with each of my kids. In fact, we had to announce it well before the first trimester was over because people were starting to ask. Just be thankful you aren't that big. Then again my kids' birth weights ranged between 9lbs 6 1/2oz and 10lbs 1 1/2oz. Our littlest one was in the middle. Enjoy this time, sometimes I miss it, then I think about diapers, and the feeling goes back to being a blessed memory:oP

Kristi said...

LOL, I'm sure she meant it as a compliment. ha haaaaaa

~Kristi

Monica said...

LOL!! You know, I just want to know WHO that could have been!! ;D And my vote is for COMPLIMENT!! Nothing negative associated with that beautiful belly!! ♥ :o)

Monica said...

And you haven't told me yet.... :o/

Susan said...

Dropping in from the KJV Blog Directory . . . and I'd take it as a compliment too! When I was still 6 weeks out with each of mine, people were asking if I was SURE I still had 6 weeks to go?! Sigh.