2/22/10

Three

I can't believe it, but there's a three year old in our house. I know, I know, you thought we just brought him home from the hospital a few months ago, didn't you? *sigh* Time certainly does seem to go by quicker each day.
My little boy wanted a Curi*us Ge*rge cake, and how could I refuse that sweet little face? I baked up a dark chocolate cake, filled it with caramel frosting, iced it with this chocolate buttercream, and used the remainder of the caramel frosting for George's face. Oh, and then I outlined his face with some black gel frosting from a tube. (Yes, yes, from a tube! I was too tired by then to figure out how to make that from scratch, lol)
As you can see, some of the chocolate frosting worked it's way into the tan frosting there on the bottom. The caramel was a little difficult to work with as it hardened quickly, so I couldn't get the chocolate out. Oh, well.

And George is supposed to be looking to the side, which is why he only has one ear. If you didn't notice the missing ear, please ignore the previous sentence. Oh, and yes, when my boy saw the cake he was extremely excited. I believe his exact words were: "Mom! It's my Djorge cake! *pause* Bu' wha' happen to his uda ee-ar?" He's turning out to be an observant little fellow. :P

Perhaps the funniest part of the day?
We had just finished singing "Happy Birthday" when he leaned forward to blow out the candles. He came closer and closer with each breath, trying to blow them out each time. Finally, he leaned in and the flame caught the tip of his nose. Immediately, the big grin was gone from his face, and he sat back as far away as he could.

"I don' wanna bah-low dem out en-ee-mooore..." he said, as we tried to contain our laughter. Of course, Daddy came to the rescue, helped him try again, and the flames were extinguished without further incident. :o)

Happy Birthday, Little Man!
Daddy and Mommy love you so much!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arlene,
He is so adorable! And getting so big!!! WONDERFUL JOB on the cake too!

I finished washing all the clothes for you and boxed them up yesterday so they will be on their way tomorrow ;)

Jenny

Vicky said...

Oh, Arlene, how sweet! Can't believe he's 3! Your cake is adorable; you did a GREAT job!!! (I can't show Mikaylah this because she will want me to make her one immediately, even though her birthday is not until November, ha ha!)

Enjoy your little man - soon you will have 2 in your arms! :)

Laura said...

LOL, too funny. Good job on the homemade cake!

Sarah said...

The part with the candles was so funny! Glad we were able to help celebrate his birthday. Can't believe we both have 3 year olds now!

JenT said...

Aw...so cute!!

The Nelson's said...

Wow 3 years old!

Happy Birthday Caleb!

I agree with everyone else, you didn great on the cake! Not too sure if I would have been able to make George look that good!

Sherry said...

I can't believe how big he is getting! Love the cake!!

Happy birthday, Caleb!!

Dear Abbi said...

Happy Birthday to your little man!! I love the age of three. :)

And your cake is awesome! My sister, who used to do cakes professionally, always kept a tube of black icing on hand. It is such a bear to make, requires SO much coloring, and tastes nasty...why make it yourself? :)

A Heart of Praise said...

Love the cake:), happy late birthday to your little boy:)