8/10/10

Family Trip

Both boys took their first airplane ride last month; thankfully, they did well on the flights. One in awe of being in the sky "where Jesus lives" and the other, peacefully sleeping (well, most of the time). We had originally thought of taking our car for the trip, but decided flying would save more sanity and would ultimately be worth paying a little extra -- in hindsight, I definitely think we were wise to buy tickets rather than try to make the 20+ hour drive south for my brother's wedding!
We returned on Monday, and were glad to be home. It was so nice to visit my brother and meet his bride. Hard to believe my "baby" brother is now a married man! Even harder to believe that the last time we were together was at the airport in Japan; he was just out of high school, and was boarding a plane to head Stateside for college. Had it been almost 6 years already since I last saw him in person? When he left, my airman and I were just barely friends {as a side note, I find it strange to think that we haven't "always" been together, because it certainly feels as if I have "always" been by that man's side. :o) Funny how that works, isn't it?} Crazy how time flies and things change!
It was good to finally meet the girl my brother has been talking about for the past few years, and the wedding and reception was beautiful (albeit hot. Two words: outdoor reception. In Texas. Yeah, it was HOT!).
My parents were even able to fly in from Japan, so they were finally able to meet their newest grandson. My childhood best friend drove in with her two kiddos, and we were excited to see each other again after several years. (And, no, I didn't scream when I saw her this time, as I did previously :P) My brother had not met either of his nephews, so there were plenty of introductions to be made during this visit!
Laura, her kids, and our family stayed in the same hotel, so all the kiddos enjoyed playing together each day, and they kept each other company during the reception -- which was outdoors. And hot. Did I mention that we were in Texas in July? I don't know if I've ever been so hot in my life! But it was a great visit, and we had a lot of fun. I'm really, really, really glad my airman was able to get leave so we could take this trip.
I'm pretty sure a lot of the memories made will last a lifetime. At least for me, they will.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Ahhhh! I love, love, love all the pictures. Turned out super cute!! So stealing them now, hehe. I'm so glad we all got to see each other again. Even if Nathan kept reminding us how "old" we've gotten!! LOL

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Yeah! It sounds like an awesome trip! Getting to see your bro, dad, mom, and best friend to boot!