6/22/11

Shredding

I've never been one to worry about my weight; I've always been naturally petite and slender... perhaps too slender by some people's standards, but what can I do about the way I was made?  When I was growing up, it was a constant struggle for me to try to put on weight until I finally realized, "You know what?  God made me 'little' -- I'm healthy, I don't have any eating disorders, and I'm rarely sick.  I'm going to quit fighting this and just accept how I am."  For the most part, I managed to keep up that attitude over the years.

And then I had children... and I started to struggle with my attitude toward my body image again.  Only this time, it's because everything wasn't "the same."  Although when our first Little Man was born all of the baby weight basically fell off by his 9 week mark, not everything *looked* the same.  But eventually {with some helpful convincing and reassurance by my husband} I began to accept the new shape.  "Motherhood changes things," I reminded myself, and as long as I was healthy and at a good weight for my body type, I was okay with that.  

And then I had another Little Guy... and most of the weight came off, but the last 3~5 pounds has stuck.  Now my Little Guy is 1... and the weight is still there.  Granted, I'm just a few pounds above where I was before, but I am now realizing what a struggle this issue can be for so many women.  I've come to realize that I'll never be in the same shape I was in my pre-marriage days, and I can handle that.  But {and I know some of you are going to roll your eyes at me for saying any of this}, I want to be in good shape -- not only for myself, but for my husband {though he is wonderful and has never told me I was anything but beautiful}.  

Keeping all of that in mind, I've started up the 30 Day Shred.  And I've made it to Day 10 (I think -- I'll admit that I haven't been consistent with daily workouts just yet).  And today I even moved up to Level 2 (and about *died* LOL).  I can see some small changes in my shape already (mostly my arms), and I'm enjoying the improved endurance I've noticed in my day-to-day life.  So, even if I don't get myself whittled back down to where I was before, I'm okay with that.  As long as my husband's happy, my stamina and strength are increasing, and I'm getting toned, I'm okay with that, too.  

I forgot to mention: my reward for sticking with it, toning up, and dropping those last few pounds?  A kindle!  {When I finished working on the baptist times publications issues, I was given a "Thank you" gift of $200.  I stuck it in savings and decided I shouldn't spoil myself unless I had earned it, so this was my way of motivating myself to quit complaining and get moving!  So far, it's been working. :o) Just have to keep it up...}

So, go ahead, folks.  Check in on me.  Ask me how I'm doing.  I need some accountability. 

7 comments:

A Heart of Praise said...

I am still putting on the pounds with baby number two. With my first, I didn't loose all the extra weight so this time it gets a little scary looking at the scale:). My husband tells me I'm fine and that always helps a lot!:)

I hope you are able to get rid of the extra without too much trouble.

I bought my husband a kindle for our first anniversary. He lOVES it and uses it all the time. I also used it quite a bit while nursing. It's so lightweight:) and easy to hold with one hand. Well worth the investment.

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

I know how you feel when other people consider you "small" or "skinny" yet you'd like to lose a few pounds. I'm the same way. I just tell people that I don't want to spend money on new clothes that's why I watch what I eat. And it's true. :)

Good for you for doing the 30-Day Shred. I've seen other people around blog-land doing it. Sounds pretty intense!!

New Mom said...

Yep, same here. I am naturally pretty thin, which only makes my pop belly stand out anymore. Not funny when your belly sticks out more than your-- well, you know ;p It took me 2 years to finally see some real difference in my belly. I'll be interested to know if the shred works well for you. My biggest thing is cellulite. Doesn't matter if you are skinny, cellulite happens. So I've been working out at the gym and we'll see how it goes. I have no discipline to work out at home. Keep us posted on your progress!

New Mom said...

And by "you" I mean me :) I think cellulite might be genetic? What a lovely inheritance my parents passed down ;P

Mrs. C said...

Just wait til you hit your 30's and your metabolism slows down...:) I'm glad you've found a workout that's working for you.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Wow! You are the woman! I have heard how hard "The Shred" is, but unfortunately because of that I can't do it.

Roanne said...

You and I are in the same boat! Let me know how the program works out for you. I just started a new super clean diet and Tracy Anderson's Metamorphosis workout routine. It's been 3 days and I've already lost 2 lbs! =)

Oh, and BTW, I just wanted to remind you that you owe me an E-Mail, woman! I wrote you back like 2-3 weeks ago and I still haven't heard from you. I see how it goes...LOL JK! =P Hope all is well with everyone. *hugs*