9/16/11

Chewy Gingersnaps

Fall is starting to show herself around these parts -- the weather is cooling, the leaves are crisping, and I'm feeling the urge to bake again.  Case in point, tonight's dessert: Marbled Pumpkin Cheesecake with a Gingersnap Cookie Crust.  Yum.  I ♥ fall!  :o)

Anyway, I thought I'd share the cookie recipe with you all.  These are chewy and have just the right amount of spice. {Might I mention how incredibly difficult it's been to save them for the cheesecake crust?!} 

Chewy Gingersnap Cookies
 3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar (I used about 3/4 cup)
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 tsp. vanilla
 2 1/4 cups flour (I ended up using 2 1/2 ~ 2 3/4)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder (I used 3/4 tsp. aluminum free)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger 
 ~sugar for rolling

Cream butter and sugar.  Blend in egg, molasses, and vanilla.  Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.  (This is where you might need to add more flour, but be careful not to add too much.)  

Shape into 1" balls and roll in sugar {I used my Pampered Chef medium scoop and then smoothed the balls out after scooping}.  Bake on ungreased sheet at 350* for 10 minutes.  Cool on sheet 2-3 minutes; finish cooling on cooling racks. 
Yield: ~3 dozen  

**My oven tends to run cold, so I baked at 375* on my baking stone for 12 minutes in the oven.  Then I let the cookies sit on the stone for 3 minutes before setting them on a cooling rack.** 

If anyone is interested, I can post the cheesecake recipe.  
Otherwise, enjoy the cookies! 
And Happy Fall!  :o)

P.S.  I forgot to mention that the sky diving date was pushed back until next month due to a family situation with the jump company.  I'll keep you posted on when we finally get to go!  :o)

4 comments:

A Heart of Praise said...

These sound delicious, I really like chewy cookies! Can't wait to try them.

The cheesecake sounds wonderful as well! I just love fall. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe! These sound so good! Pumpkin cheesecake is one of my favorites - it's what I usually choose for my birthday cake each year. :) We'll have to try the cookie crust!

Lissa said...

Ooo...they sound delicious! I am not very good at baking..but I am going to have to try these! :o)

Vicky said...

Gingersnaps are my dad's very *favorite* cookie and the first ones I ever learned to bake. :o) They will always hold special memories for me. These look yummy!!

Miss seeing you on FB - I hope everything is okay!