9/21/11

Tomato, Tomahto

 
Some dear friends have shared their tomato crop with us, for which I am extremely grateful.  You see, those very same friends are the ones who have gotten us addicted to the wonder that is Homemade Spaghetti Sauce.  And now that we've tasted that glorious sauce, it's a hard thing to go back to the store-bought stuff.  

But I digress (as usual).  

Anyway, since our friends shared the harvest, I thought I would "pay it forward" and share the tasty recipe with you all.  I can't very well share my tomatoes anyway, so it's the least I can do.  :o)  

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
40 cups tomatoes (chopped)
5-7 cups chopped onion
8 stalks celery
2 green bell peppers
3 cloves garlic (my addition)
10 bay leaves
4 Tbs. dried oregano
1 Tbs. garlic powder
 2 Tbs. pepper (I used about 1 since I was using freshly ground)
2 cups sugar (I used a little over a cup)
6 Tbs. salt
7 (12 oz) cans tomato paste
~Opt. Additions: Basil, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, Zucchini, Carrots~

Blend tomatoes with veggies (I did this in batches in my food processor... can you believe I don't have a blender?!).  Place into large pot (as you can see, this all just barely fit into my 8 qt. stock pot, so make sure you have a big enough pot!  Or use several stock pots if you need to.)  Stir in spices (and optional veggies). 

Simmer for 1 1/2 hours.  Mix in tomato paste.  Cook 1/2 hour longer.  Pour into 1 qt. canning jars.  Process 20 minutes in water bath canner.  Remove to draft-free counter; jars should seal within 12 hours.
When your husband comes home from work and asks what's for dinner, I don't think he'll bat an eye when you casually mention your favorite fast food restaurant.  
Oh, and P.S.  Note to self:  Next year, buy a canning set already.  I had to bag the sauce and freeze it... and finding space in the freezer (for 8 qts of sauce!) is just not fun.

3 comments:

Lissa said...

I wish I was a better cook to try things like that. Homemade sauce is the best!! Thank you for sharing the recipe. :o)
I had a friend give me some cooking pears. I am going to try a couple of different, EASY recipes for them, so as not to waste. But, alas, I think that cooking them in the microwave with some brown sugar, cinnamon and butter is going to be where I am least likely to go wrong. lol

Southern Sunrise said...

This recipe sounds delicious! Maybe we can try it next summer. :) Thanks for the recipe!

Amber said...

That looks yummy!!! I'm saving the recipe to try out later! :)