3/27/13

Early Arrival pt. 3

Part 1.  Part 2.

We made our way through base housing, and after what seemed like an eternity, I opened my eyes and peeked at the spedometer.  Twenty-five.  We were going twenty-five miles an hour.  "Please -- pass these people.  We need to get there now."  I groaned through another contraction.  While we sped through the neighborhood, I tried to remember all of the things that were on my birth plan (the one I never got to give to the doctors to put in my file).  "No clamping the cord until after it stops pulsating...  No pulling on the placenta and no pitocin...  Just let it come on its own..."  

The contractions continued to get stronger and I could really feel the pressure as baby continued to descend.  I was grunting and groaning through some of the contractions and was starting to feel the need to bear down... but Monica reminded me again (which annoyed me again LOL), "Blow -- blow!  Like the candle, remember?  Keep breathing!"  I'm pretty sure she started speeding even more, which was probably a good thing, because otherwise I'm thinking we would have had the baby in the van!

We pulled up to the ER entrance, and Monica waited for me to breathe through the next contraction.  "Okay?"  "Yes...  just go!"  She ran inside.  "We're having a baby here!"  But no one behind the desk was helping her; they waved in the general direction of the wheelchairs.  She grabbed one and ran outside to get me into it.  

I was freezing, and that made the contraction even worse because of my body tensing up.  "I can't do this anymore," I cried through chattering teeth.  "You can.  You can.  You're strong, girl.  Come on."  I remember thinking how tired I was of hearing that I was strong.  I'm not strong.  I'm just a regular, everyday housewife.  Without my husband, I feel incomplete, incapable of doing anything.  Why does everyone think I'm so strong?  I don't want to be strong.  I just want my husband.  

Baby Titus
She pushed me into the building, but again no one helped.  "Just straight down the hall and through those doors to the elevator, second floor."  We were in such a hurry, Monica didn't even grab her keys out of the car.  "My car is still running.  Could you at least grab the keys out of the ignition?"  "Oh, it will be fine," they said.

I know we must have looked a sight -- Monica pushing as fast as she could, hair flying behind her.  Me with my ponytail askew, green flip flops in winter, feet flailing in the air... "My feet.  I can't put my feet down!"  It was getting too hard to hold up my legs anymore.  Monica stopped and quickly pushed the foot rests into place so I could set my feet into them.  We flew to the elevators and up to the Maternity Ward.  "The last room on the left!" someone said.  In we rushed.
On the phone with My Airman
Off with the pj's, on with the hospital gown.  They pushed me onto the bed, and it hurt to lie down.  "I don't want to be on my back!" I said.  Someone answered, "We need to check you."  I begged them, "Please.  I don't want to be checked.  I don't want to be on my back."  But the hands were so many, so restrictive.  I wanted to lie on my side, but I was too tired to fight anymore.   

 A flurry of activity as I breathed through another contraction and groaned as my body was starting to push on its own.  "Don't push!  Don't push!  The doctor isn't here yet!"  "I caaaaaannnnnn'ttttt!" I moaned as the contraction finished.  I tried to relax, but the contractions were so strong, and my body was ready to do what needed to be done.  
7 lbs. 13 oz.  21" long
The doctor came in, and then the doula was next to me.  I was so glad to have Dorothy and Monica with me.  More than anything I wanted my husband, but having these two by my side gave me a little boost of energy and a surge of encouragement.  I smiled weakly at her.  "You're doing so good.  Almost done!"   


The next thing I knew, they were telling me, "The baby's heart rate is dropping, and it's not coming back up!  It is too low, we need you to push NOW!"  I looked blankly at them.  I didn't need to push then.  And I was so tired.  "Hold her legs."  I didn't want to push with my legs held up.  Things were not going how I wanted.  I felt helpless.  

Dorothy looked at me and said, "Okay, just try to push a little.  You really need to try."  I remember being frustrated with her for saying that.  She knew I didn't want to tear as I had last time, so why was she telling me to push?  Little did I know, the doctor had been putting together the forceps.  She had no time to explain.  Better to push a little faster and tear that way than to have them use the forceps.  If I had known, I would have agreed with her.

I pushed and I could feel the baby -- there was that ring of fire!  I could feel the doctor trying to move things along and get the baby out.  "Please don't tear me!"  Another two pushes and it was over.  Four and half hours of labor, and it was all over.  It was 7:54 and my sweet baby boy was in my arms.  Just ten minutes after arriving at the hospital. 
Brotherly love
 Not long afterward, the phone rang.  It was My Airman.  I cried to hear his voice.  We hadn't been able to Skype for any of it, and he actually found out we had the baby via a message Jessica had sent on Facebook, so he knew to call the hospital right away.  I'm so grateful for modern technology!  :o)  But mostly, I'm grateful for my little family.  Just a little bit longer, and our family will be complete once more...

6 comments:

Tracy said...

AWWW YAY!!!! You did it! Again! Praise God! What a sweet story. makes you laugh, makes you cry! what a joy :-)

photo:britt said...

Wow! Girl! Your labor story beats Jimmy's birth! Lol! So happy your baby is here and all is well. I'm so sorry uoi didn't get very good treatment though. :( I had the whole--flat on my back, "stop pushing! We need to check you!" baby heart rate dropping, "omg, push harder! Push now! Push between contractions!"--thing too with Jimmy. Makes me wonder if fast labors and flat on the back might have a correlation with dropping heartrate...?

Anyway though! He is BEAUTIFUL! I have thought of you so much and prayed for you often. You ARE so strong and brave, eben when and if you don't feel like you are. Congratulations and so much love to you!

Mrs. C said...

Rejoicing with you over the arrival of your newest blessing! Can't imagine how tough it was w/out having your hubby w/you. You are in my prayers!

Tori said...

Wow Arlene, you're amazing. I can't imagine going through birth without my husband. You are a solider in your own right. Congrats, he's adorable.

Bethany M said...

Congratulations! He is absolutely adorable. You always have interesting birth stories. This one sounded a lot like mine with Sam. God bless you all!!! :)

Michele said...

Wow that is quite a birth story! Congratulations, he's beautiful. :)